21 June 2011

Ladies & Gentlemen of the Jury

A discussion we have had from time to time in our lives is that we do not consider our dog(s) as children.  We've been wished happy mothers/fathers day numerous times because we have a dog.  Fewer things make me grit my teeth more than that statement.

Kevin's mom has referred to her little dog as the boys sister.  She is, unfortunately, sincere.  Like most elderly women, she considers that little dog as a child.

This came about again the other day when she told the boys that somewhere (probably in tabloid land)  the government was considering make the killing of a pet more like a murder as it is akin to killing someones child.  

Is you head still attached to your shoulders? 

Kevin understands that the loss of a pet is traumatic and that perhaps a stronger penalty is warranted.  However, equating the death of a pet to the death of a child or sibling is not appropriate.

When his mom began to argue against his displeasure, this was Kevin's response:
"One of the hardest things I ever had to do was put our dog down.  Sure, for a few weeks I was sad because I missed her.  That being said, I would think that if I had to put my BROTHER down, I would be sad for just a Little While LONGER."

And the defense rests.

No comments: