18 June 2011

Who Are You?

"Who are you?" the title of the article asks. Are you Canadian? are you a mother? are you a class clown?

The article's point is how you immediately, reflexively, define yourself...what you do versus what you believe...where you were born versus who you are. Answering with your first instinct could show how you view yourself.

My first impulse was caretaker. This applies to my job & family.  It is a label but I think it could also be a belief. I looked it up and this verse struck me:

"Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.    James 1:27 (NLT)

I like that definition of religion: defining it as caring for people and sticking to your standards & morals.  (If only it were that simple, right?)  Anyway, I'm off an a wee rant, I am a caretaker.  I am a faithful person.

I didn't label myself as a child, as in someone's daughter.  I don't know if it's my age or my past that I don't identify myself as someone's child.

I did think of being Kevin's wife but more with the emphasis of belonging With him rather than the title of spouse.

I am a writer.  Some qualify writers as artists but that makes me cringey so I'd rather not.  I see it as a skill I possess rather than a label of who I am.

I am an American but also an honorary Canadian. I see myself as having qualities from both countries rather than where I am physically located.   

I have no point, really.  I just found the question interesting.  So I pass it along to you, poppets, who are you?

No comments: