06 October 2011

Habits

Kevin is a charming guy.  He's never met a stranger in his life.  A phrase that I heard Dennis Quaid use once was "He's always running for mayor."  It's a clever way to describe him. The nice thing is that he has no agenda and is just a genuinely friendly guy. People just naturally react positively to him.

One of the most impactful things I have learned from him is his way of approaching people or situations.  He tries to remember and use people's names, he looks them in the eye, he shakes their hand if appropriate.  He makes them feel like they've just met their best friend.

Being around someone who is gregarious and positive tends to wear off on you.  Without realizing it, you tend to pick up some of their mannerisms.  I realized this while we were at the racetrack last weekend.  Watching him work just made me realize that I have learned so much from him when it comes to dealing with people.

I've found myself being reminded of Kevin when I say something to a client or donor. I've picked up a few of his habits.  Or if I'm anticipating a potentially tense situation, I try to think of how he would handle it.  Usually he is just direct and often presents the issue to the person as being part of the solution instead of part of the problem.  He really should have been a lawyer.

It's funny how people can teach us without even realizing or intending. Sometimes others habits can become your own habit.

No comments: