03 February 2019

If You Give A Mouse A Cookie - HGTV Edition

On this episode of HGTV...

For few months now I've been...we've been...rehabbing this house a bit.  It's thirteen years old so it  is due for a makeover.  It is a teenager, after all.

We redid the floors in 2014 and swore we would never do that again.  OMG such a huge job to empty the entire house then reload the entire house, in one day because we set easily achievable goals. (and/or we live in the Pacific Northwest where you don't leave stuff outside overnight unless you like your property damp)

Sidebar:  When I was painting, Kevin was a little worried for the carpet and rightfully so because I have the attention span of a small child.  "Do you want to do the carpets again?", he asked.
"No because that suuuuuccckkkeeddd."
He knows how to motivate me.

Now I've painted both bathrooms, the kitchen, 90% of the mudroom, and the entryway.  Truth be told, I should be painting right now but I just don't have it in me, yet.

It's that old adage of "If you paint, then you'll need new floors, then drapes..."  Paint one wall and the one next to it is yelling at you that it needs painting too because OMG Look.

We put in new mirrors in the bathrooms, courtesy of BFF K and Kevin for my birthday/Christmas. which meant I had to paint in the bathrooms AGAIN because removing the old huge mirrors uncovered unpainted walls.  Sigh.  But it's beautiful now so worth it.

I had chosen easy install adhesive tile for the bathroom, prior to the mirror thing.  Wouldn't you know it but the tile didn't match anymore once the mirrors were up and the walls painted.  It's a good thing because Kevin was about as excited about grout as he was with me painting anywhere near the carpet.

I searched the amazon and found cheap adhesive faux tile and it is perfect. Kevin was skeptical that it would look cheesy but once he got it in, he was good with it.  So, master bathroom is complete.
But that faux tile doesn't match the common folk bathroom because, really, why would it?

I've yet to solve that puzzle because I keep dithering over whether or not I want to go mainstream or funky.  Kevin's taste is more conservative but in the end, is just happy if I'm happy so the pressure is on me.  I'm totally going to wuss out and do mainstream but it's fun to think about.

Photo from Amazon. This is the grownup choice

Photo from Amazon. This is the fun choice

So, yesterday.  I don't even remember why this was a thing yesterday but replacing our giant dining table came up in conversation.  Kevin said to look on OfferUp.  Yeah, that was a super dangerous idea. I found one in about five minutes for $25, marked down from original $100.

Now, to be fair, Kevin was already going somewhere today for truck parts.  But now we had to get up early (for me) to pick up this table.  We left, had breakfast in the town that the table was, woke up the owners of the table, then headed another 20 minutes south for Kevin's thing.  Then it began snowing. I love snow but not when we have furniture in the back of the truck.

Wait, I skipped a part.  I remember why the dining table was a thing!!  We bought a fireplace.  Because we shouldn't be in charge of our own lives.  It was on clearance and it replaces the heater style one we bought in a panic after being out of power for three days that Lucy loves and we don't.

Kevin assembled/installed the fireplace last night.  At first, we thought we had to move the dining table to make room but then we figured out something else.  And we already committed to getting the table. So here we are with a new-to-us oak table.

And we bought the wrong finish fireplace but we are Living with Our Choices.

I realized this morning, that painting the living room is next on the docket because that will solve the wrong color fireplace thing.  This requires choosing an actual color so here we are: me writing about it  instead of doing it.  President's Day is coming up, I will set that as a goal-ish.

Gratuitous puppy photo.Or: New table featuring walls that need painting 

1 comment:

Swistle said...

I love "But that faux tile doesn't match the common folk bathroom because, really, why would it?" and "And we bought the wrong finish fireplace but we are Living with Our Choices."

I like both of the tile choices a lot, but my heart cries out for the fun one.