16 July 2006

Just Say Hi

Radio gods are considered the moments that songs play during significant moments. The song that inspires you just as you’re ready to quit, the song that plays that alleviates your sadness at just the right time. You get the idea.

Something I’ve tried is to say "hello" to the person that the song reminds me of.
If it is a song that reminds me of a former love, I try to smile and just say "Hi." It seems to take the sting out of it and makes me smile about it instead of sighing wistfully. It is a momentary connection with that person.

It seemed to take some of the power away from the songs, making those moments just a bit more bearable.

A long-time friend lost his eldest son in a freak household accident a few years ago. They played a song that reminded me of a lost love at the time. Now that I know it was Casey’s favorite song, I say hi to him when I hear it now, it’s still kind of sad but it reminds me of Casey and I tell him Hi when I hear it.

Although I admit, there is still one song that makes me want to run screaming from the room. I think that song will forever be tainted, no matter how I try. So, it is not a blanket cure.

I remember a friend telling me long ago that she hates Rod Stewart… hates him to the point of leaving the grocery store with a filled cart in the aisle in order to avoid him. I am afraid saying "hi" isn’t going to help her. (:-D I wonder what Rod did to her? But, again, I digress.

Everyone has a song that makes them pause and think; it is normal. I’ve just tried to make it into something meaningful instead of swooning or becoming teary or changing the channel.
Try it, maybe it will work. Maybe not. What do you have to lose?

No comments: