27 September 2008

Northanger Abbey

There usually is a stack of books and magazines next to my chair. Right now, it's a strange mix of books I want to read and books I intend to read. The difference being is the books I intend to read are the ones that someone has recommended or have been on the best-seller list. (Secret Life of Bees, for example)
The books I want to read are the ones that I pre-order through the book club.

Right now I am in book #3 of a series set in early 1900's Russia. It's actually #1 of 3 but I unfortunately, accidentally, started with book #2. Oh well. The kicker of these books are that they are 600 pages EACH. Normally, a book of that thickness and weight would probably not be on my list of things to read. But the story has been so good, I've stuck with them.

This is not to say that I don't sometimes look at the book longingly and think "Can't you be just 300 pages and one pound lighter?"

Oh, by the way, it's Paulina Simons. The Bronze Horseman, Tatiana & Alexander and the Summer Garden.

But the reason this post is titled Northanger Abbey is because I'm also reading it. I know! Apparently I am just not reading enough.

The reason I'm reading it is my current obsession with Jane Austen. In the movie Jane Austen Book Club, they talked of Northanger Abbey, which I didn't know about. I have all the other books, how could I have missed it?

But instead of buying it, I went an alternative way. I did this before to read...hmmm, I can't remember now...never mind...

You can register on Classic Novels.com and they will send you a chapter a day to your email.
Very handy! Every evening I read a chapter of Northanger Abbey while making dinner and it's easier than juggling books.

Now, I am a book snob. I don't care for paperbacks. I usually only read hardbacks. So, reading it from the monitor screen is a stretch for me. But right now, it's working for me.

So, give it a try. You can choose a classic that you've never read and always wanted to. The worse thing that happens is that you get a few chapters waiting in your email inbox. Unsubscribe if you don't like the book or don't have time. No fuss, no muss!

1 comment:

Dynamita said...

I've read "The Girl in Times Square" by Paulina Simons and really enjoyed it. It was amaaaazing. Thanks for reminding me of her, I've been going through a book dry spell.