28 September 2008

Day Three

It's been three days since my brother went to Chicago and so far, so good. The girls have been checking in regularly because they're angels. Just ask me.

They're always busy, it amazes me. When their dad was giving me their schedule, I was exhausted. They have school activities, the eldest is on the Homecoming committee and is a Firefighter Cadet. Amber has flute practice, they are both in choir. I don't think they're doing sports this quarter...usually there is basketball or volleyball. Sprinkle in friends, church and chores. whew! I don't remember being that busy at their age.

The youngest is so precocious, it's so funny to talk to her. She has the requisite "like" and "whatevers" thrown into every conversation. She tells me all the details of her day whereas the Eldest plays it a little closer to the vest.

On Saturday night, they checked in. I asked them "What's the plan for tonight?"
"Well, April and me, we're just going to watch movies and chillax."
I am going to talk like a thirteen-year-old from this point forward.

Tonight I have to ask the first grown-up question: Is Your Homework Done? Including the youngest flute practice, which she hates. Fun. I totally expect them to fib. Of course they will. It's their job at this age. Heaven help me.

The best moment was talking to the youngest last night. She mentioned that she didn't sleep well the night before. On high alert, I asked her why. "I think I was just worried, with Dad being gone and all." We talked about that for a minute and then she says:
"But you know what, Auntie? I just think it's so cool that Dad trusts us enough to let us stay here by ourselves. That's just so cool."

*sniff* *tear* "Yes, honey, that is so cool."

They're the best kids ever.

No comments: