09 September 2008

Not Enough Clorox

So, Kevin works for an excavating company. He is the Pit Boss, which sounds like he works for Caesar's Palace but no. He manages about ten men, multiple projects, job sites, and army of heavy equipment. With this comes a few notable items:

He looks good in fluorescent orange or yellow t-shirts. No one looks good in those t-shirts.

Call me crazy but Oakley sunglasses has done wonders for construction workers. Well, at least some of them, notably: dump truck drivers. I'm already a fan of Levi's and work boots. Now add Oakley sunglasses...whew!

He works for two of the nicest men on the planet.(father & son...son is younger than me) Kevin used to work with his own dad, at the same company. His dad officially retired on Saturday so we had a party. It was with amazement that we discovered that the owners(s) of the company gave him $2500 and five $100 gift certificates to an up-scale steak house. How cool is that?

With Kevin's job comes an element of danger...I know, what is it about me and danger? I just don't know...He has some jobs that aren't "wife-friendly" that I prefer not to hear about. It's not like it's reckless or illegal, it's just jobs that I don't want to think what could happen.

He was working on a job site the other day and fell through an old septic system. Luckily for him, one leg went down and one leg didn't. (how he didn't *break* his leg, I'll never know) His boot was submerged, shall we say, and the ground was beginning to break away under him. Somehow, he rolled the right direction: AWAY from the sinking ground. He was able to get out with only a sodden boot.

There are two parts of this story that must be told:
First: his boss, The Younger - as he calls the son- said to the other guys:
"Not. One. Person. Laughs." Because, it's common to giggle out of nervousness when a close call happens. And really, there's a lot of comic material to be had about falling in a septic system. (I asked him if he had a shitty day, once he got home for instance.) But I'm a little bit in love with him for protecting Kevin like that.

The other part was what my funny and brilliant husband said he thought (and nearly said) when he realized where he'd fallen: "I was going to tell Jason to toss me a knife because I was going to cut my throat if I went all the way in."
Graphic, I realize, but funny.
Because: You. Would. Never. Feel. Clean. Ever. Again.

No comments: