28 December 2005

How Old Are You?

I just heard of a theory that a person reverts to a certain age when faced with their parents. For instance, as I reflected upon this, I think I become 16 again when I am with my parents. I'm independent, yet still need them and still seek their approval. I'm still trying to prove to myself - and to them - that I can do this myself. Although I am self-sufficent, I still feel the need to return to the nest.

This theory got me to thinking a number of thoughts...

No one ever feels their real age. Although our bodies age, our minds do not. In my mind, I am still a hot little 21 year-old. In reality, I'm looking down the barrel at 40.

(One of the funniest lines, to me, ever is in When Harry Met Sally. She's sobbing on Harry's shoulder and she says "And I'm going to be 40!" He asks her when and she replies "Someday..." But I digress.)

I wonder if we each become a certain age with everyone we encounter in our lives? I am still in my twenties when I am with my husband. I think I become younger still when I am with my brothers; I fall into the grade-school ages as I was the baby. I definitely become a high-schooler, sometimes even a middle-schooler, when I'm with my friends.

But then I feel OLDER than my age when I'm wearing my Supervisor/Manager Hat. How does that play out in the theory?

So, I'm putting it out into the Universe for consideration.

What age are you?

No comments: