17 September 2012

DIAMONDS!!!!

The title of this post is from a commercial that airs in Western Washington.  It's for "the JEWELRY Exchange In RENTON."   It's one of the yelliest commercials out there.  Oh wait, it's a national company, according to the interwebs.  Here, but turn your speakers down because OMG DIAMONDS:



(yes, I realize I have way too much time on my hands)

I bet you're wondering WTH is my point , huh?

Is it just me or does the sentimentality of getting wedding rings been reduced to a business transaction?  There are terms and requirements: X amount of the man's salary,  cut-color-clarity, settings, and negotiations are done prior to the engagement.

I just don't get it.  It seems gone are the days of giving Grandma's ring or letting the man choose one so there is a surprise element. (we, as a people, are going to have to figure out how to address gender in marriage, with the approval of gay marriages. It seems like it will be more personalized than "groom" and "bride" That's kind of fun to think about.)

Anyway, I wonder if that why all these grand gesture engagements are happening lately.  The girl already knows he's going to ask and what he's going to give her.

I understand, it's possible that a ring that isn't to someone's taste could be given or that they hated his grandma or whatever.  But most times, I think it's unlikely. I also acknowledge that not every relationship is designed that way.

And are rings not gold anymore?  All is see is the platinum settings now.  I think they're lovely but my preference is gold. *shrug*

In case you're wondering, Kevin chose my ring.  I was there but he chose it. (second marriage for the both of us)   I also wear a plain band & his band with it. 

I guess I'm getting old and just not understanding "kids these days."  What do you think?  What rings do you wear?  How did you choose?



1 comment:

Swistle said...

I prefer yellow gold, too. It does seem to be out of style or something.

We skipped the engagement ring, in part because I felt like I couldn't figure it out and because I got overwhelmed by the faketiquette of the process. For a number of years I really regretted not having an engagement ring, and I still OCCASIONALLY do.