23 April 2013

Things that Make Me Happy

Things that make me happy right now:

Disney Print Ads using famous people portrayed as fairy tale characters, so beautiful and dreamy.
Click Here for more


C'mon, David Beckham. What more do you need?


Also in the commercial category: the AT&T ads with the kids.  I told Kevin if he ever wonders what he sounds like with the Littles, it's like that.  I can watch the werewolf one a hundred times, it reminds me of girl little SO MUCH.




Also, look up "Fresh Perspectives" on the youtube.  It's where the idea originated.

Kevin and I went to a birthday dinner a few weeks ago and we were LOVING the music that was playing.  It was all singer-songwriter stuff that wasn't Barry Manilow and Karen Carpenter and we kept saying "Oh, I haven't heard this in forever."  Kevin finally asked and it's The Bridge channel on Sirius/XM.  Totally worth a listen when you need to just relax or feel confident because you know all the words.

Even though I don't wear dresses at all, I am so enjoying the resurgence of the 1960's dresses!  They look good on everyone, it seems.  It's nice to see everyone covered and not shabby as well.

My two favorite songs right now:




(we cranked this song in the van on the way back from the Grand Canyon. I think we scared my brother and sister-in-law a bit.  
One of my favorite memories now)

Chocolate Doughnut holes, specifically Franz brand.  They're like a little treat and one doesn't feel guilty because "I ate a whole doughnut!"  Kevin thought the logic was crazy but guess what he had for breakfast on Sunday. Yep.

When Swistle live-tweets reading People magazine, there are few more enjoyable things on the interwebs when that happens.

The 80's documentary series on the National Geographic channel.  I binge watched it all at once and have rewatched a bit of it again already.  Even though I was alive during that time, it's remarkable what a little perspective does.  Also: what a person forgets.

Sweet Caroline.

Patton Oswalt:
I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

No comments: