04 November 2014

This Seems Legit

In the latest chapter of Job Search Adventure, I received an offer for employment.  You look to see if it's a good idea:

Dear Applicant, 
Thanks for responding to the job post. I received your email with interest in the position posted but unfortunately that position has been taken but I have an offer for you if interested. I want to believe and hope I am dealing with an honest, responsible person because I usually would not hire anyone this way but I urgently need the services of a Personal Assistant due to my very busy schedules.
My name is Brenda Palmigiano(Advocate for Deaf truckers) and i also do Interior Designs, Decorations & Art collections with a large client base and because of my job I'm constantly out of the State. My former Personal Assistant just got married and moved to Canada. If you accept my offer, I will need you to take charge of my  errands, and will also have my mails/packages forwarded to a nearby post office where you can pick them from at your convenience.
All errands will be in your city/town so it is not a must you have a car, but if you do it might be a plus. When you get my mails/packages, you will be required to mail them to where I want them mailed too. The content of the packages will be business and personal mails. All expenses and taxes will be covered by me and you are to work for just 2 days per week (4 hours daily). You will be doing this for 3 weeks until I get back to town so we can formally meet and discuss about the possibility of making this arrangement long term if I'm satisfied with your performance.
How much will you charge per week? Am willing to pay $300 weekly including gas and others expenses. That is not a bad offer i presume! If you accept this offer please reply with the following details:
Full Name, Physical/Residential contact address, Apt #, City, State, Zip Code, Cell number, Home number, Current Occupation and Available hours.
I will be needing your service immediately, so once you send all this information, i will make a back ground check on your details and will get back to you within 24 hrs to let you know if you get the job and also what your first assignment will entail. After that, I will request your first week payment be mailed to you along with the pay to run errands for me.
Kindly get back soon and have a nice day. 
Thank you and God Bless!
So, Gmail flagged this as suspicious.  It arrived at midnight on Halloween.  "Dear Applicant"   and Please send me all your pertinent information.   Blindly receive and send packages.

What could possibly go wrong?
It is a real person, I checked.  But she's from New York and the interwebs say nothing about interior design.  I wonder if she knows this is happening?  I'm not wading in though.  I only kept the email for entertainment purposes.
AND THEN, in the same email thread I received:
 
Good Morning

        Dear applicant, we apologize for the delay in response, as in regards to your resume that was forwarded to our head department for the Data Entry/Administrative Assistant Position, The Hiring Desk  has  reviewed your resume for the Data Entry/Administrative Assistant  Position and we believe you have the required qualifications to proceed. 
This is a Data Entry/Administrative Assistant Position, Working hours are from 8am-3pm, Monday-Friday. The starting pay is $24.00 /hr for this  Data Entry/Administrative Assistant Position, you are also expected to 
come online through Yahoo Messenger during working hours.I want you to setup a yahoo messenger and if you have one already use it, add Mr adam diaz the Interview Manager and IM his on this ID (adamdiaz2014@yahoo.com
asap for the interview/briefing and comprehensive job details.This is our first step to proceed further. he will be on online waiting for you. Interview Schedule date/time is From Monday to Friday  (8am-5pm).

Best Regards

Again, non-specific "Dear Applicant" and the sketchy requirement to set up a messaging service contact.  Then there's the big hourly wage for a job that doesn't require it.  Mr Adam Diaz doesn't seem to exist on the interwebs. 

Sigh.   


 

No comments: