08 April 2015

Projects are Good for a Marriage

Our marriage defined in one sentence:

"That's the best I can do for your midget ass."

Kevin spent the morning putting a shelf over the washer and dryer.  Because we always had old machines, I never worried about piling up detergent, laundry baskets, paint, on top of the appliances.  With the old machines, I could balance the laundry baskets along the top of the washer and dryer and it worked perfectly.  Now I have new machines and it's no longer an option. For one, I had the old dial style machines so that upright piece is no longer there to provide a "shelf", as it were. Now that I have new sparkly ones, I don't want to scratch them, ever. (I give it a month)

For the past week-ish, I've been keeping the laundry baskets in the bathtub of the common folk bathroom.  This hides them well and isn't terrible but it becomes frustrating when I want to shower in there. Also, each time I went to use them I thought "I can't do this for the rest of my life. This is not a good solution."

As previously discussed, I have to stand tiptoe to reach the bottom of the washer.  If I am thinking ahead, I use a stool.  You can probably accurately predict how often that happens. Even though the cool, new stool is right there behind me.

So, it took some measuring and planning to figure out how to put a shelf above the washer that could be actually used, by me.  Luckily, we both thought of putting the washer's lid up while measuring.  One would think this wouldn't slip past us but sometimes we don't think things through. ("A.D.D. m'er f'ers", as our friend once called us)

Kevin finished it after about two hours.  He was all "I'll do it myself" for some reason. I think it's because we've had people in the house recently and we're just not used to that.

I found a lamp in Monica's Closet that I've put on the shelf.  The cubby space gets dark and shadowy so this will help that issue.  Kevin moved the hangy-things that hold the broom and mop so they don't show anymore.

Now I'm going to find a picture or something to hang above everything.  Pinterest has me convinced that the space can be decorated yet utilitarian. Let's just see about that.


Add caption

No comments: