20 February 2023

Happy President's Day

 The other day the youngest nephew was here and we were talking about school.  I mentioned that neither of us have school on Monday.  He wondered why. (great job, American education system) I explained that it's a day to "celebrate" our former presidents, specifically the Very First One Ever and Lincoln who did a really hard thing twice. Then I had to phrase slavery in a way that's not traumatizing to a seven-year-old.  

I explained that people kidnapped other people, took them far away from their homes and made them work as prisoners forever.  I ended it with "And those people were black or brown and some people thought because they looked different then they're not human.  Isn't that just dumb?" 

HE SAYS, with a wave of his hand: "That's ReeDICyoulus!!!"  My gawd, this kid.  

Anyway, that was a tangent, Hey, hi, hello, it's me I'm the problem it's me.

Because we just had a four-year reign of ignorance, greed, and terror - that it seems like there's no end in sight - it's difficult to think that we are ever going to have a Washington, a Lincoln, a JFK or even a Carter again.

(I know emotions are at an all time high over here and we shouldn't be surprised that President Carter is in hospice but I wasn't ready)

I grew up in the seventies and I only remember Nixon as a grumpy, angry man on television.  Then there was Ford with his frowny face. Carter who was always so kind and gentle and like Mr. Rogers as President. Then Reagan.  He was president as I was beginning to understand politics and civics.  He allowed the pandemic of AIDS to rage with little to no sympathy, he cut funding to the mental health community, Say No to Drugs and Warning labels on music was under his reign.  As a rebellious teenager and just as a mere human, I was specifically Not A Fan.

So, my point is that the presidents whom I would consider me a fan of are few.  We had eight years of fantastic social progression only to have it summarily dismantled.  We are in such disarray now that I just have little expectation or hope for the near future years.  Maybe I'm just a cynical GEN X'er.

With that, here is my favorite "president" quote ever from one of my Top Three Favorite Movies Ever:




No comments: