24 February 2023

I Need More Coco Puffs

 Okay, so this bloggity post is going to be a listicle:

1) Due to nationwide staffing shortages, we cannot find health aides/nurses for the mother-in-law that will allow for my sister-in-law to return to work

2) Family refuses to entertain the idea that we are perhaps at the level of needing to move her to a facility. Yet, see above.

3) The father-in-law has now been asked twice to stop telling her/family members that she is "doing great! She's getting better!"

4) The mother-in-law was in the expected but hoped it wouldn't happen "Queen mode" yesterday and reportedly refused to talk with the social worker.  (Queen mode usually happens after 7+ days of hospitalization and she stops being compliant as she usually is and gets pouty)

4) While we will have a better determination later today, we are looking at 1-2 more months of this

5) I had to organize their bills so nothing was missed.  She had receipts, bills, etc. tucked away EVERYWHERE.  E.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e.  I got to play the "Is this important? No, it's dated 2019" game. While financially they're fine, there were a few unpleasant discoveries. Then the f-i-l got defensive about a bill being paid that was more than he thought and a utility bill that was three days late.  He originally agreed to have everything set to autopay but we've put a pin in that now.

6) I have discovered unclaimed cemetery plots for the parents.  Plus the need for a marker and name for a baby brother who was stillborn/imminent death upon birth in the late 50's. (that will be a whole post, later)

7) There has been a water leak at the parents house.  We don't know when it started. We do know that it's requiring the entire kitchen and bathroom floors AND CABINETS to be removed in order to repair.  It's going to take months to complete and makes the house uninhabitable.

8) Kevin and I are both feeling exhausted, yet guilty. We're not shouldering the burden of caring for both parents yet it has been relentless for us.   (again, see #2 on the list)

9) I have a feeling there's another shoe about to be dropped and I can't figure out from which direction. This feeling is rarely wrong so that's super fun to have running around in my brain.  (my guess is it will be from my bio family)

10) I've been having Coco Puffs for breakfast because I need a little bit of happy in my life.  I need more Coco Puffs.

1 comment:

D said...

You and Kevin are rock stars. Caregiving is SO SO hard in all kinds of ways that those who haven't done it aren't aware of. More Coco Puffs for you. Be gentle with yourselves and each other. Everyone (including the parents) are navigating uncharted waters. When you think 'I can't do this' you need to remembers you are already doing it. xo