19 May 2010

Yes, Another Facebook Post

I think I've finally reached the end of FaceBook. My friend suggestions no longer hold any surprises. I think I've found anyone that I was really wanting to find, and some people that I didn't. I have a good mix of friends, family, and internet friends.

I do hate the deciding whether or not to friend request someone. There are a few people that I remember from school, they were smart and funny and I'd like to see what they're up to now. But do they remember me? Ugh.

And I don't know if this is everyone but my high school class seems to be of the "We all graduated together, let's all friend each other." It's not necessarily a bad idea when it's based around Facebook and not, say, a monthly dinner. I kind of like the spirit behind it.

There has been a lot of discussion regarding facebook "friends": They aren't really your friends, just pictures on a screen. They are people you once knew but don't now. There is a reason why you're not longer friends. FB friends aren't real friends whom offer support in a real way. Yadda Yadda Yadda.

While I understand the logic and there is a percentage of truth in those statements, my experience hasn't been that at all.

Yes, I have some friends in name only but it's still good to hear about their lives. Maybe it's just the writer in me.

Yes, they are people that I once knew but don't now. I am enjoying learning about their lives again and recreating connections. I am so incredibly thankful for finding two friends that I never thought I would hear from again.

Yes, there are a few friends where I am reminded why our friendships fell to the wayside, but they were still my friends all the same. Facebook actually provides a forum for friendships like that, I can set the level of interaction that I am comfortable with.

All in all, I think Facebook has been a good thing for me, a normally solitary being. How do you feel about it? A good thing? bad? too complicated? a time waster?

6 comments:

Swistle said...

I like it as an interactive address book for everyone I might be interested in peeking in on now and then.

Daydream Believer said...

There are days that I love it, and others when I absolutely detest it. I was thisclose to deleting it the other day!

Jennifer said...

I love Facebook. Because I'm nosy but relatively anti-social in real life. So I can watch friends' activities and know what everyone is up to while not having to go to lunch or talk on the phone or whatever. :-) That sounds really bad spelled out like that, but oh well.

Not Your Aunt B said...

love it! for the reasons mentioned above.

creative kerfuffle said...

it has it's pros and cons. some days i feel like i'm that unpopular kid in high school and i wonder why more of my high school or college friends don't friend me and other days i look at the ones who are friends w/ each other knowing that they never even spoke in real life, would never, and now they are friends on fb. i have reconnected w/ a few friends from both and i love that.

Bethany said...

I love it sometimes and hate it sometimes. I love staying connected to everyone but don't enjoy getting random friend requests or hearing about how my brother's high school friend was upset because I said no to their friend request...lol!