10 December 2014

Riding in Cars with Boys

This new job, man, I just don't know.  It's been a lot of sitting, doing nothing. BY DESIGN.  They want a lot of observation and easing in, with promises of busyness as time goes on. We have learned that THIS IS NOT THE WAY I AM WIRED.

So. Yeah.  Sigh.

A large part of orientation WEEK (yes, week) is doing ride-alongs with the tech guys.  There are three different areas of tech so I rode around with five different men.  Like I described to my friend, it's kind of a messed up speed dating.

Yikes, right?

Lucky for me, I live in boy world so I wasn't too intimidated.  I can speak their language. But I wondered, a lot, about girls who aren't comfortable. I'm guessing it's a whole lot of awkward.  I had awkward moments, even with common ground.

Kevin was a little surprised and maybe even a little concerned that the company would send me out with random guys all week.  I mean, I know everyone is licensed and bonded but still.

Back to the dating comparison...

They would actually come to my desk to pick me up.  They all, without fail, mentioned cleaning out their trucks so they would be clean for me to sit in. They were attentive while we were out on the call.  Most of them held the doors open for me. One of them, the quietest of the bunch, even bought me lunch at a restaurant. It had all the elements of dating, without the romantic tension.  It felt a little cheaty, frankly.

Now that I've mentioned that, I wonder if that's ever happened?  An office romance.  I imagine it must have.  It's a large enough group to provide the opportunity.

Like dating, there were all kinds of demographics.  Older gentlemen, younger guys, and in the middle-age range.  I think all of them are married.  (So, maybe that's why there is confidence in sending me out with them.)  Unlike the office guys, they are all active.  Three are musicians and two of them are mechanics.  Not a nerd among them.

It made me feel like I was back in my teens, dating.  Not necessarily a part of my life that I wanted to repeat.  It's terrifying to even consider doing something like that again.  If something ever happened to Kevin, I'm thinking I will just become a hermit.

No comments: