12 December 2014

You're Yelling at the Wrong Person

I had to go to the post office this morning.  I thought if I went early that it wouldn't be too bad.  I was wrong.  At 8:45 am, I was number seven or eight in line.  Like always, the counter was only staffed with two people.  I don't understand  how the post office determines how many people to keep waiting and for how long.  I'm sure there are charts and graphs.

Almost twenty minutes later, it was almost my turn.  The second person ahead of me was a woman with two small children.  (a four year old and a one year old, as we heard many times later)  The kids were fairly well behaved, considering the setting.  The other bystanders quietly ignored them as they chattered and ran around.

Then, all of a sudden, the mom calls across the lobby to the toddler "Have you made a stinky?"
Oh.

No.

Why, yes, he did.

Fantastic.

Luckily for everyone who could smell, it was their turn next.  Who had previously seemed like a perfectly reasonable human showed us that she was not so much once she reached the counter.
The patient and verbose parent turned into a dis-satisfied, yelly customer who was not to be appeased.

The gist of the story is that she ordered something online from Target.  She received a slip from the post office to come pick it up.  There was $7 postage due.  And she was pissed.

Well, this does indeed suck.  We were all in agreement there.  But here's the kicker.  Her voice immediately raised to the poor young girl who seemed like she was new on the job.  The clerk went to find a supervisor, leaving many customers waiting in frustration.

At least a few minutes passed when she returned, with no supervisor.  Again, the woman's voice raised.  "It's been TEN DAYS, I've been waiting to resolve this. I've come in three times, with the pleasure of the company of a four year old and a one year old. I've called but no one will talk to me or help me." Shocking, because she was so reasonable and accommodating.

She explained that she paid shipping through Target and there shouldn't be any charge. She refused to pay it. While she's right, she's arguing with the wrong place.  Her issue is with Target, not with the Post Office.  The clerk said that she could either refuse the package or pay the postage. Those were her two options.  She thought that was ridiculous.  Meanwhile, we all felt she was being ridiculous.

She said that she could reach anyone by phone and that there had to be someone to call directly.  Why won't anyone answer the phone!?!?!  The agent helping me quietly said "Because it's CHRISTMAS time and we're busy".

She demanded to speak to a supervisor RIGHT NOW.  When a new clerk came out to begin helping customers, she verbally accosted him. "Are YOU the supervisor???" He kind of giggled and said no.
The clerk helping me kind of muttered "Just grab the next person you see back there." to the clerk being yelled at.  I thought this was kind of clever, as the irate person wasn't really going to listen to anyone, she just wanted to yell at someone.

I quickly finished and scurried out.  The lady ahead of me, turned and nervously giggled "Whew, we're lucky to get out of there!"  

I think the others who were waiting probably would have given her the $7 just to be able to go on with their lives.  It's too bad really.  She really was yelling at the wrong people.




No comments: