01 January 2022

New Year's Meme - Pandemic Year, the Sequel

 

It’s back! The New Year’s Meme!   You could do it too, it’s a fun way to look back on your year. Although no one really wants to look back at these past two years.  Let’s do it anyway.

 

1. What did you do in 2021 that you’d never done before?

Quarantine within my own house. Zero stars, do not recommend

 

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Yes, I believe I did or at the very least looked each of them in the eye:

 

My resolutions for 2021:

1.  Finish painting the master bedroom (Done!)

2.  Write More (Meh)

3.  Buy a damn stove, like, for real though. (rebuilt, not new so sorta yes)

 

My resolutions for 2022:

1. Just keep going

2. Advocate for working from home forever for my 22-23 contract

3. I got nothing…

 

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

No, we are out of that stage of life, unfortunately

 

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Not close to, but people we know.

 

5. What countries did you visit?

Lolsigh.  #thankscovid

 

6. What would you like to have in 2022 that you lacked in 2021?

The ability to see our Canadian friends, it has been almost three years.

 

7. What dates from 2021 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

February 13th – getting in the wreck with the snowplow

March 16th – one year anniversary of the lockdown

September 27th – travelled alone to Vegas for school

November 4th – vision diagnosis

 

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I got, like, super organized because there’s nothing else to do. 

I learned how to refinish furniture.

 

9. What was your biggest failure?

There has been zero opportunity for any kind of failure this year

 

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Illness adjacent: Kevin had Covid. 

Received my vision diagnosis & surgery scheduled.

 

11. What was the best thing you bought?

Tickets to the Van Gogh exhibit in Vegas, cozy self-pity Snoopy blanket

 

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Everyone who is vaccinated, boosted, and trying their best to save civilization

(also: everyone in the medical & science field, first responders, front line workers)

 

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

The entire GOP & it’s brethren. Anti-vaxxers. 

 

14. Where did most of your money go?

We managed to save money this year.  I’m just going to say Amazon & ClickList

 

15. What did you get really excited about?

Vaccines

 

16. What song will always remind you of 2021?

Shotgun – George Ezra

I’m Bad for You – Eric Strickland & the B Sides

 

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

– happier or sadder? Gah, I don’t even know.

– thinner or fatter? Same somehow.

– richer or poorer? We have been beyond fortunate.

 

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

 See our Canadian friends

 

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Having to make constant decisions about being around the unvaccinated  

 

20. How did you spend Christmas?

Eve – Next door for a quiet low-key dinner

Day – Home, with the parents for a bit then alone

 

21. Did you fall in love in 2021?

Every day.

 

22. What was your favorite TV program?

 You would think with all the time spent at home, I would have one but nope.

 

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

My hatred for ignorance and those who champion it remains strong

 

24. What was the best book you read?

One Damned Thing After Another  (a bit of a cheat, started it in December and finished in January)  My vision has limited my reading.

 

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Music from the ticktock.  AJR, if I have to chose just one. (play them loudly)

 

26. What did you want and get?

 Working from home

 

27. What did you want and not get?

 Other than the obvious: being able to move about freely, I am good this year.

 

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

I don’t think I watched anything that really stayed with me this year

In The Heights is the only one I can think of

 

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

53 and we went for a drive, looked at new cars, had dinner.

 

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

 It's a theme and I don't apologize: seeing everyone vaccinated so that we can resume our lives in this new nearly post-apocalyptic world

 

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2021?

Yoga pants and hoodies, shoes are again not my friend.

 

32. What kept you sane?

Walkies with Lucy

 

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

 Alan Cumming.  I have been listening to his podcast and his books. Highly recommend!

 

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

 The antivax movement.  No, wait. The insurrection.  No, wait. The probably reversal of Roe Vs. Wade.  Gah.

 

35. Who did you miss?

 No one that I don't usually miss.

 

36. Who was the best new person you met?

I met no new people this year

 

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2021.

 Expect the Unexpected

No comments: