16 July 2022

Everything is Fine

 Okay, so....there's just been, like, A LOT.  

The mom is "fine".  She's more easily confused now, sleeps more, and isn't able to get around as much as before.  She still insists that she is "fine" and that she will be better because she is "tough".  Nothing makes me want to punch an old lady more than repeatedly hearing how "fine" and "tough" she is when she clearly is not.  She told Kevin she isn't able to use her phone or her tablet because she "can't remember."  Clearly, OBVIOUSLY, she is fine.

Kevin is "fine" from the last Covid adventure.  He has a physical this week and we'll see what the doctor has to say.  I will say that I had to buy a size smaller jeans and his shirts are hanging off of him.  We continue with the "Oh, can't eat THAT anymore" and "That smells TERRIBLE" adventures.  (melon and vinegar floor cleaner)  Nothing sensory has been regained, it's actually gotten worse.  It's not "oh, that's unpleasant" but more of a RETCH, I have to spit it out/get away from it reaction.  

I am "fine" from my fall the other day.  My leg is a rainbow of bruises AND I discovered that my foot was also bruised.  I didn't notice because I don't wear shoes when I am home and the shoe made me notice the bruise.  Yes, one would think that I would have noticed but here we are.  The bruise on my jaw stayed beneath the jawline so that was good.

Right now my job is on summer break - all of July, historically.  Well, they forgot to tell me (because I work from home and don't attend meetings) that some of the programs are running through the summer.  So I'm all lalalalala and still should have been working.  

ALSO, there was a change in the database with an upgrade.  This created a data gap (I will not be nerdy) that created a need for an item to be changed for ALL the kids in the program for the school year.  SUPER.  AND it had a deadline of not only 07/30/22 and ALSO sooner than that because my job partner had a task to do which was contingent upon MY WORK.  No pressure there, at all.

All of this seems super fun and I know you're probably feeling a little jealous.  I am not done.

The lovely PNW had record rain this Spring.  We also had what we call "June-uary" where we had winter weather instead of Spring weather.  What this showed us is that the roof needed replacing.   Again, in the lovely PNW, we have finite days of nice weather for this kind of thing so we had to hurry.

Upon a glowing recommendation, I met with the roofing company, who were charming and helpful.  We were on the schedule for the end of July at the earliest, but most likely August.  Fast forward one week and they had a break in their schedule and would be here LAST WEEKEND.

A few things:

We made the mistake of saying "Start as early as you want."  I was awoken to the sound of a ladder being opened and rested against the house at 7 A.M.  Kevin was awake but not showered so that caused a momentary Three Stooges episode as we quickly got ready.  

If it were during the week, Lucy and I would have had to go somewhere for the day.  Because it was the weekend, she could be outside with Kevin and I could be wherever.  I was very much wanting my dreamed about nap closet though.

We financed three-quarters of the bill so we didn't empty our savings.  And then the universe laughed and said "That's adorable." with a gentle pat on my head.  The overage was an additional $3500 because there was a flaw in the original construction.  The flaw was not surprising but the overage was; especially since lumber is at a PREMIUM right now.  I'm trying not to stress about it but I have been in the mourning process for our savings.

Now it's done and it's beautiful.  The company gave us a break on a few things and also gave us time to pay the overage because of the surprise.  I mean, I can't complain about that. (yes, I can)

Here is something to know if you ever have your roof replaced or repaired and it's probably not what you're thinking.

You are going to be sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, and dusting over the next few days.  

You are going to be resetting pictures and paintings on the wall

All of your ceiling fans are going to need cleaning.

And bugs.  It's like all the banging drew them out.  It's not gross or overwhelming, it's just little ones like a random spider that got scared out it's home.  We had a few ants that tried to take cover in our bathroom. (vinegar fixes that, if you need to know) 

So, yeah, everything is "fine" here.  Just FINE.

Kevin just came in to let me know that the parents washer has died.  This is the fourth one since they've begun living with us in 2008.  Somehow they found a laundry service and are sending their laundry out to be done.  This is instead of asking the people who live on both sides of them to help with the laundry.  Earlier this week they called me to get the number to "information" so they could look up a number but they figured out how to find a laundry service.

Because they are FINE.




No comments: