13 July 2022

At Least I Got the Shot

 I had to take Lucy to the vet today for her checkup.  As a "treat" afterward, I took her to the park nearby to forget the horrible invasion of her privacy.  We had just started when we went down by the creek so she could get a drink and I could take photos.  

And the next thing I know, I'm on the ground.  Somehow, I had turned, caught my foot on a root or a rock and fell.  

Of course, my first two thoughts were "Where's my phone" and "I hope no one saw that"  Clearly, I have my priorities correctly organized.  Oh, and there was a little cursing sprinkled in there for decoration.

Lucy, meanwhile, had scrambled up on the bank because I startled her.  She just looked at me like "Really?" and waited for me to gather myself again.

It's been discussed before that when I am hurt, I am a Nothing is Wrong, Nothing to See Here person.  So, of course, we continued our walk like nothing happened.  I did a damage assessment as I walked.  First, checked my phone to see it wasn't broken then looked at my forearm holding the phone because it hurt.  Not a scrape or a bruise (yet) so then I looked at my knees.

Oh, this is where I mention that this was the ONE TIME that I was wearing shorts.  I never wear shorts away from the house.  But the vet doesn't require the human to come inside so I didn't worry about it. Super.

Next up: my knees.  One was scraped and sore and the other was just sore. 

Then I noticed my shin. Luckily, not the broken-leg leg.  There is a handprint sized bruise growing there.

Finally I stopped and had to take an awkward selfie - all my selfies are awkward but that's not the point - to discover that I have bruise/scrape along my jaw to my chin.   You know I was fine with all the other injuries but that had my alarm bells ringing. 

Still we continued walking because I was In It now.  We went to another part of the creek, where there wasn't roots and rocks, and I started taking photos.  As I leaned down to take a ground level shot, I noticed my shin is bleeding.  Because of course it is.

This is where I explain to Lucy that our "fun" is now over and we needed to head home. Remarkably, she didn't fuss. It's like she realized the human had hit her limit. Half a mile walk back to the truck and home we went.

Once we got home, I got ice out of the freezer and put it on my jaw.  I'm not missing the absolute IRONY that a week and a day ago we were in the E.R. with my m-i-l for a fall.  

Then I washed all the scrapes, put antibiotic salve on the bleeders, and bandaged my shin.  At this point, I texted Kevin this:

"Lucy is not getting a bath today for the dumbest possible reason"

He phoned like two minutes later with a patient "What did you do?"

He suggested that I sit on the couch until he gets home in order to stay safe.  He also suggested that I could first go over and show his mom my injuries.  Funny guy, lemme tell you.

Instead I attempted to eat lunch while holding ice to my jaw and that worked about as well as one would expect.  Then I had to work a little bit and now I have to go check on the parents.  I may just peek around the corner to verify they are there and then slink home.

I am not looking forward to the rainbow of bruising that I will have in the morning and the possible discovery of other bruising.   I'm not so much worried about any of it, except my jaw.  That could be unsightly but at least I still mask up when I go into stores.  

This is the shot I was going for:


And then this happened:



1 comment:

Swistle said...

GIRL

OMG

But: favorite parts:
• Kevin knowing to respond with "What did you do?"
• Kevin suggesting you sit on the couch for safety