15 January 2024

Glimmery Complaints

 My awful former husband was on the facebook the other day.  You know how sometimes in it's wisdom, that app will feature a comment on a post from someone you know or may know?  It did that.  Sigh.  And he's still an ass, posting an inappropriate commenton a car fire traffic notification.  He's also a red hat racists so that's the nicest word I will use here.  In person, I have PLENTY worse words for him.  

So that was momentarily upsetting.  Then I made myself feel better by blocking him.  I probably should have done that a long time ago when I learned he had an account but maybe I just needed the validation and satisfaction of clicking BLOCK on that particular day.

One of my last projects from the parents is my mother-in-law's photos from her tablets.  I have been avoiding this for years.  With zero judgement: she was a terrible photographer.  She tried really hard but she didn't have that talent.  Then add in that it's a tablet camera, which are terrible.  AND THEN add in the eleventy hundred photos...mostly blurry...of her little dog.  Sigh.  Secondly only to the fifty-eleven photos of my father-in-law either sleeping or playing cards.

With that though, there were a few gems. There were also videos of her dog, which sometimes featured her VOICE.  So, if you needed me for anything yesterday afternoon, sorry but I was laying on the floor.  I haven't shown them to Kevin yet.  That feels dicey.  Of course, he wants to hear her voice again but at what cost, I wonder.  Kevin said that we're lucky to live in a time to hear her voice again, even if it's just her playing with the dog.

There is just the whiplash of going through photos still.  There was one of her house, with her standing on the deck.  It felt like one of those Google Earth/Streetview photos.  It felt a little haunting and I still am still thinking about it.


Yesterday I had to go into my old office for a meeting and that's always a little disorienting.  I worked in that office for almost three years and it still feels odd NOT working there, while I am there.  It's kind of like returning to an old workplace after you've quit.

But now because of that meeting, I'm going to have added responsibilities which will require me to travel to all the centers.  I'm excited about this now and will need reminding of that fact when it's time for me to leave the house.

I have a new stove that I'm still trying to figure out and I'm going to complain-in-privilege: it's a cooktop and I had forgotten how much I hated keeping it clean.  Or rather, the OCD hates keeping it clean. Then I remind myself that it was a gift and made having to replace the washer a week later not so painful.

There is a giant television under our bed, which is probably not the best place for it. But where does one store a 65" television in this little house?  Kevin was given a new television from his work and so we swapped it out with the one that is now under the bed, which is only two? three years old.  We didn't put it in the bedroom because that one is months old and more size appropriate.  So, yeah, first world problem: we have an extra television.  (update: which is now going to one of the nieces because I felt badly just storing it under the bed)

So, this is a list of complaints that kinda aren't complaints per se.  It's just been an odd balance of "Oh this is not good" and "Oh, this good thing happened" lately.

One would say "Well, it's always been that way" but has it?  It doesn't feel like that. Perhaps it's because the past few years have been challenging, and that's not near strong enough word for 2023, that ANY glimmer is noticed.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Favorite part: "I'm excited about this now and will need reminding of that fact when it's time for me to leave the house."

Other favorite part: giving the TV to the niece. It reminds me of what you said the other day, which I have thought about roughly a thousand times since then, about "use it or give it away." I am going to do more of that.

Swistle said...

Whoops, the Anonymous is me!