02 January 2024

New Year's Recap - Please Play Along

 It’s here! The New Year Review Questionnaire !  I made a few tweaks this time. This was borrowed from the late Dooce years ago and I wanted to add a few.

You could do it too, it’s a fun way to look back on your year. Although no one really wants to look back at these past two three four years.  Sigh, Let’s do this anyway.


1. What did you do in 2023 that you’d never done before?

It was such a strange and sad year.  I can’t think of anything.


2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? 

Meh…shrugging…not making direct eye contact…shuffling of feet…


My resolutions for 2023:

1.   Painting.  I STILL have to fix everything I missed because I painted while actually going blind

2.   Debt reduction because oof, 2022 was expensive

3.   On previous lists was purchase a new stove because it was 18 years old.  My father-in-law bought 

       one for me as an appreciation gift so I can take it off the list, even if I didn’t actually do it.


My resolutions for 2024:

1.   Painting.  I still have to fix where I missed because I painted while actually going blind 

        And now the doors are needing it too

2.   Debt reduction because oof, 2023 was even MORE expensive

3.   Read more.  Write More.


3. Did anyone close to you give birth? 

No, we are out of that stage of life, unfortunately  Fingers crossed for a recently married niece, though!


4. Did anyone close to you die? 

We ARE in this stage of life: Kevin’s mom, Kevin’s childhood best friend’s mom, someone Kevin grew up with, and a wife of a distant friend. Then, just under the wire on the night of the 30th, one of Kevin’s childhood best friends 


5. What states or countries did you visit? 

Oh Canada and no other states but have traveled from one end of Western Washington to the other


6. What would you like to have in 2024 that you lacked in 2032?

This is a repeat and I have high hopes: A working government free from the cast of Idiocracy.


7. What dates from 2023 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

May – My mother-in-law’s passing

August – Sitting at a car show, in the sun, at the seaside, singing a Hal Ketchum song with Kevin because we couldn’t think of Hal Ketchum’s name.  

Christmas – The happy/sad of it all


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? 

     This is silly but I finally nearly emptied Monica’s Closet. It is half-empty and my goal is to keep it that way.  It’s just so satisfying.


9. What was your biggest failure?

We added to debt instead of decreasing it. Sigh.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

It was the Stupid Injury Olympics this year:

*Hit and Run by a dog that injured my knee and put me in a brace for weeks (November)

*Broke two toes stubbing them on an antique Queen Anne chair in our bedroom (May)


11. What was the best thing you bought?

This is so bougie: the whole Lotus drink set-up.  The soda stream, the syrups, the spoons and measuring glass.  Not only does it feel luxurious having it, I’m drinking less sugar and caffeine.  Whether or not we are actually saving money is beyond my math skills level.  And now we added the Keurig.


12. What was the best thing you created? (it can be art, it can be a spreadsheet or an organizational thing, it could be a human!)

I love that the interior walls of our home are now all painted, new curtains and light fixtures.  It feels like a home from Better Homes and Gardens now.  Oh, and my garden!  Also, my photography


13. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Hospice workers. I know the word “angels” is overused but whew.  They are other-worldly.


14. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

This will be my answer perhaps for eternity: The entire GOP & its brethren


15. Where did most of your money go?

Ugh. Bills


16. What did you get really excited about?

It just wasn’t that kind of year


17. What song will always remind you of 2023?

       Small Town Saturday Night – Hal Ketchum

       Symphony – Imagine Dragons

       Auld Lang Syne – Dan Fogarty (thanks, Swistle.  Lolsigh)


18. Compared to this time last year, are you:

– happier or sadder? Gah, I don’t even know. Sadder.

– thinner or fatter? Same somehow.

– richer or poorer? I can’t think about it. Poorer.


19. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Writing.  I always wish I spent more time writing


20. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Being on the phone


21. How did you spend Christmas and the New Year? 

Eve –  Here at home mostly.  I picked up Japanese food for dinner only to have to return to town because we forgot some gifts.  At 6 p.m.  Then we watched Harry Potter

Day –  Gathered with all of the family for snacks, presents, games and dinner

Eve – watched a movie and went to bed.  I watched the needle drop (Seattle reference)

Day – Slept in then went for a drive/4-wheeling


22. Did you fall in love in 2023?

Every day.


23. What was your favorite TV program? 

Grace & Frankie, Staged, Suits


24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? 

Nope


25. What was the best book you read?

 Ack, I have had a dearth of enjoyable books this year.  They were all fine, just fine.

My to-be-read pile increased instead of decreased (thanks, booktok)


26. What was your greatest musical discovery? 

Playlist suggestions on the pinterest.  One for every mood and/or setting

8-D music for neuro-divergents (click here for description)


27. What did you want and get?

 Working from home for the foreseeable future


28. What did you want and not get?

 Gosh, I can’t think of a single thing. We are also at that time of our life.

Well, also, I really wanted a certain former “president” in prison. (he’s not worthy of being named or acknowledged as a president)


29. What was your favorite film of this year?

 We have fallen out of the habit of watching movies.  Neither of us enjoy superheroes or horror so there are very few choices these days. However, we binged “All the Light We Cannot See” like a movie and I really enjoyed it. 


30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

55 – Accidentally got my birthday present on the 11th (a red Keurig). Kevin had a work emergency so my usual plans for lunch with him then shopping were dashed.  I stayed home and watched holiday movies. And my father-in-law gave me TWO bouquets of flowers so it was good that I stayed home.

It was Taco Tuesday so that was good.  Kevin & I had lunch later that week.


31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

   A little less death and injury.  It feels like a big ask but one can hope.


32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2023?

Lazy…Yoga pants and hoodies or tshirts, no shoes unless walkies


33. What kept you sane?

Walkies with Lucy


34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I don’t have anyone in particular.  However, I thought of people I follow on the ticktock. (none of them are influencers; mostly photographers, wanderers, artists, book nerds)


35. What political issue stirred you the most?

I just can’t… My hopes are pinned on November 2024


36 Who did you miss?

My mother-in-law.  I wouldn’t have guessed that last year, but I do.


37. Who was the best new person you met?

Young Padawan, Lucas.  He helps Kevin with the tune for the racecar.  If he were our son, I would be so happy.


38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2023

Use the thing or give it away.  After closing the parent’s house, I realized how much we keep that we don’t need or have intentions for that we’ll never follow-through. And how fun it is to give stuff away to people who want or need it.


1 comment:

NGS said...

Please let 2024 treat us all kindly. I'm finding myself more and more nervous about it as it goes forward. *sigh*

Hal Ketchum! I had the line "Lucy, you know the world must be flat/'Cause when people leave town, they never come back" as the signature line in my email for years and years! I love that song so much.

I am sorry that 2023 was so full of hardships for you and your loved ones. Hospice workers are wonderful, death is sad and hard, and hopefully you will not need to learn anymore about that in 2024.