25 August 2026

This is What Happens When I Have to People

 I had the annual Startup meeting for work today, which means I had to people all day and be pleasant.

So, of course, I chose violence when I got the opportunity.

I've mentioned before that my work has a Mental Health Consultant.  Her focus is mainly on the families we serve but she's also available to staff.  She is the kind person with the head  tilt that asked how I was doing at a meeting months ago.

Similarly to that, she asked how my summer was.  I gave a thoughtful answer: I said it was quiet and I was enjoying it but not used to it.  Then we were interrupted because: meeting.

Hours later, she asks me "What is making your summer so quiet?  Why are you having to adjust to it?"

This...this is where I could have been Very Demure, Very Mindful.

Instead, I chose Chaos Goblin.

Now, to be fair, I looked at my job partner first.  She's more familiar with the Mental Health Consultant and she knows me.  She just smiled and said "She's safe.  Just rip off the band-aid."  Then she smiled, as if to dare me.

And I giggled.  I paused.  I thought Okay, bet while keeping eye contact with job partner before casting my eyes to the Mental Health Consultant.

"Well, all of my parents died"  Mixed reactions of gasps and laughter from my coworkers...

 "And I don't know what to do with my time now.  There's no calls to make, no paperwork, no visits to schedule.  It's just...quiet"

Is it bad when a Mental Health Professional is surprised silent?  It feels bad.

She recovered and asked something like "You really had all that going on?"  and my coworkers answered for me.  She meant this kindly, btw.  I explained that I was the person who called, who did the forms, who made appointments, who made people cry when I needed to.

"You made people cry?"  she asked.  

"Yes, when they weren't doing what they were supposed to do. Yes"

Then something happened and we were interrupted again.  I'm certain she was relieved.  She did take a moment to express condolences and support a few minutes later though.

Now I'm certain there's a note in my Permanent Record that I may be a mental health risk.  

LOL/JK/But Maybe...


No comments: