We went to see The Odyssey. In the movie theater. It was... A LOT. We never go to the movies, it's too much sensory input for me. I had some working knowledge of the story, Kevin did not. After 30 minutes of commercials, the movie finally began. The movie that is almost 3 hours long. So we began it already frustrated.
It started out strong and then...it just needed a brutal editing. Some parts just went on far too long. I won't give an example because: spoilers but you'll know when you know. Also, theaters are so loud now that I was actually covering an ear through parts of it. It had a satisfying ended, for me. For Kevin, he wanted to leave about two-thirds through. This is very unlike him.
So...go see it but keep an open mind or wait for streaming and keep an open mind. Beautifully shot, great acting. Needed an Editor. I think that particular story is like the bible or Jane Austen, it's up for interpretation and we don't always like the adaptations we see.
I've watched Schitt's Creek in its entirety once; meaning from Episode One to the last in consecutive order. Then I immediately started it again to pick up on all the details I missed and because it's so great. Now it's one of my comfort watches.
Something kept catching my eye in one of their rooms. Finally I stopped it and took a photo:
| Look at the painting in the corner. I'm sorry that I can't get a better photo |
Then I looked over to my bedroom wall and saw this:
Now, we inherited this painting from Kevin's mom. It's always been in the houses we've lived in. It was reportedly painted by a family member or was a gift...or both. You know how these kinds of stories happen in families. It's signed but the name doesn't ping on the interwebs. So, that's kind of fun.
Books! I started and did not finish "Romantic Comedy" I tried, I really did. I felt myself skipping ahead to the next page, never a good sign. I was interested in the premise of a Saturday Night Live setting but that was temporary. Moreso, it's a romance written by a man. Meaning the female protagonist received a d!ck pic and wasn't instantly repulsed. There's a lot of emphasis about how boyish her co-writer is and the all American good looks the love interest has. I made it through the first act; then the second changed writing styles that was momentarily intriguing. Then I got bored again. The book went to the neighborhood library unfinished. I have plenty of options to choose from instead of feeling obligated to a book that the internet recommended. If you're keeping score, one out of four internet recommended books I have enjoyed. And even though I enjoyed it, it went into the library as well.
However, despite evidence, I've since finished The Wedding People (LOVED it) and One Day With You (was chosen on a whim and ended up loving) and am halfway through This Book Made Me Think of You. What's strange about that book is it talks about losing the ability or desire to read while in grief. 100% a real thing.
It's the busy time of the school year for me. Thus the gap in posting because the last thing I want to do is sit MORE at the computer. Every year I think that I'm ready and every year, I am not; it's just the nature of the job. As an odd coping tool, I've had Grey's Anatomy playing like a podcast. Last week it reached the Pandemic season. I thought about skipping it but it felt important to watch it. I think we too easily forget how horrific that time period was. I was surprised to realize that there were things that I had forgotten. As a result, I think these episodes should be shown in high schools, in current event or health classes. Or annually like the 9/11 tragedy. Instead of stats that people won't remember, provide stories like those.
In the middle of last year, I thought it was a good idea to conduct a shampoo experiment. Between stress and being a certain age demographic, my hair had taken a hit. I tried Native and liked the scent but it was overwhelming but it left my hair tangly. I tried Dove and it was just okay. I tried...now I can't remember...and it was okay. After having, no exaggeration, seven bottles of shampoo and conditioner in the shower I decided to combine Native and Dove into one bottle. It actually worked out okay. What I finally landed on was what I have always used: Pantene (I know people hate it but it works for me) and Dove. The internet said the key is to wash your hair twice so I use one and then the other then the Pantene conditioner. It works really well! A good result from a experiment ended by impulsive frustration. The other suggestion was to rinse your hair in cold water before getting out. OH HELL NO. I'm not ruining my cozy, low-sensory shower with cold water. GTFO
Also, I had learned to cut my own hair during the Pandemic. But the way I learned created layers and that can be challenging in hoodie season. Now I have Kevin blunt cut it with his razor every six weeks. Slowly, I've taken off about four to five inches in length and that has helped a lot. I felt better when I read a post by someone who mentioned what a relief it was to not go to the stylist anymore. I hadn't realized how much that stressed me out. (too much sensory, making a phone call, ack!)
Fall is beginning in the PNW. We had a decent summer, not too hot or too rainy and a short smoke season. But I'm ready for it to ease into Fall now. I'm planning on taking out my Fall decorations tomorrow and (allegedly) I may have bought some Fall candles and pumpkins the other day. Allegedly.
No comments:
Post a Comment