19 June 2010

We Lost Our Marbles

We had a friend over for dinner tonight. He's helping Kevin with the racecar. While he knows Kevin pretty well, he is still getting to know me.

I don't know why or how it ever came into conversation but the Marble Story came up.

If you've heard this one before, feel free to skip today's post. I can't remember if I've told this via blog in the past. I looked but gave up.

Kevin & I lived in a duplex for a year before we bought the house up here. I loved that little duplex and was actually sad to leave it. Anyway, the duplex had an attached carport just outside the door.

It was a sunny day & the door was open. Kevin was getting ready to go somewhere and he sassed me. Somehow I had his shoes and chucked one outside. I remember to this day the expression on his face as I flung it outside. It was one of those moments that can go either way: totally pissed or laughing hysterically.

He stood there in silence for about the beat of ten then whirled around. There was a dish of marbles on the coffee table. He picked them up and dumped them out in the middle of the living room carpet. (green shag carpet)

"Go get my shoe."

"No. Pick up the marbles."

"No."

I am sure there was curse words sprinkled in for good measure.

Kevin finally gave and got his shoe but only because he needed to be somewhere. And there the marbles sat. In the middle of the living room. In front of the television. For everyone to see.

Days went by.

The story spread among family and friends. We no longer heard "Hi, how are you?" but "Have you picked up the marbles yet?"

Days went by.

I vacuumed and dusted around them.

People stopped by to see the marbles.

Weeks went by.

I was beginning to worry that they were going to be there forever.

One night, well over a month later, as we were sitting down to dinner, our friend stopped by. He walked in the house without a word. Scooped up the marbles and put them on the table. "THERE. It. Is. Done."
Then he left.

Clearly, we were meant to be.

2 comments:

Swistle said...

I love this story. I love how it was fixed! I love how long they were on the floor.

creative kerfuffle said...

ditto what swistle said. and, that story belonds in a book.