20 June 2010

Happy Father's Day?

Happy Father's Day Everyone....

Or "Happy You're Not A Father Day" in this household...

Or "Happy You're Dad is Not Alive Day"....

Yeah, I know that last one is harsh. However, you were not invited out to celebrate Father's Day for your no-longer-alive father today now were you?

Yeah. That just happened.

I experienced it first hand and I still can't quite believe it happened.

Afterward we went out to dinner with my still-alive father-in-law, my brother-in-law who is a father and grandfather, our godson, and my nephew. It felt a little more "normal" celebrating the day with people who are actually, you know, living.

Oh, and my nephew is considering moving in with his new-ish girlfriend who has four kids. Insta-family: just add nephew!

So....yeah, weird day. How did you spend Father's Day?

With that, I will leave you with Dad of the Year: Phil Dunphy


5 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

since i've divorced my parents i only had the hubs to consider on father's day and it was great : ) we celebrated him, gave him gifts, swam in the almost too warm pool, went out to dinner and relaxed.

Not Your Aunt B said...

At church, not to be all preachy, we celebrated all who were fathers, had fathers, or were father-like figures in others lives. It seemed to work out with everyone. It would be weird though on a personal level. I think I would just be a little sad (and laugh inappropriately depending on the memory) reminiscing.

Surely said...

@CK...I think that's why I was being all pissy about it. We were just going to do the father-next-door thing & not have to travel anywhere.

@Bea...Yeah, I tried to think of it that way too. And tried to focus on being sweet to the brother dear who is a dad but it all felt stilted and contrived.

This was kind of a pissy post but it was just so "Really?" that I had to get it out. (:-D

its me said...

happy fathers day brother in law

its me said...

happy fathers day brother in law