17 June 2012

Chasing Pain

((I swear to sweet baby jesus that the accident posts will dwindle. Bear with me))

One of the things that I learned while in the hospital is the meaning (and importance) of chasing pain.  Chasing pain is letting the pain overcome your meds and/or tolerance.

For instance, letting your pain meds lapse so that by the time you take the next dose, the pain is unbearable and you have to tough it out while waiting for the meds to kick in. This is just as fun as it sounds.

As I've had plenty of time on my hands recently and perhaps may have experienced the above mentioned phenomena, I have thought about the concept of chasing pain.

Couldn't it be true and thusly applied to emotions?  How many of us have experienced the heartbreak kind of pain but just picked ourselves up and walked it off only to have it return and hit us twice as hard later?

Such as the death of a loved one, the loss of a relationship or job.  It's all loss, it's all painful.  Many of us just move on, believing that we'll just deal with it later.  Then later comes around and you're knocked to the floor with it.

I think it's important to try to acknowledge it while you're in it and move through it, if you can.  I'm not sure that I'm that kind of person.  I tend to bulldoze my way through situations then collapse later.  And because of that, have experienced chasing pain. 

It's about as much fun as chasing physical pain and the regrets are just the same.

Hmmm, must to think about this further.  What do you think?



No comments: