19 February 2009

The Plant Died

The other day, I was thinking to myself that right now was one of those moments in life when everything is good. Everything is going well. Everyone is as healthy as they're going to be. The sun has been shining more, as we get closer to spring. We have fun things to look forward to in 2009. Life is good.

So, I'm happily puttering around the house and I notice that one of my Christmas cactus had finally given up. It had been in a coma for awhile and it finally just went toward the light.

As I was cleaning up the pot and subsequently repotting another plant, it occurred to me where the dead plant came from. It was from my old job at the school. One of the many program directors gave it to me for Christmas years ago.

While repotting, I realized that I'm so over losing that job now.

I've realized that it wasn't the loss of the job that made me upset at the time. In retrospect, I was really, really resenting the job. Frankly, I should have bailed out at least a year prior.
At the time, I think I was more angry with myself for not doing something about it sooner. I was more upset about it going down the way it did than the actual loss.

Now, three years later, I've got a pretty good job. It's nearly exactly what I wished for. I am now one of those cliches: Things always work out for the better.

Oh, here is the reason I had the plant in the first place. Just in case you think "Wow, that *firegirl* is really enlightened:

When I packed up my office, my BFF D was on the phone with me the entire time. Now that's a BFF, hanging out on the phone for about an hour on a Saturday to listen to me pack & bitch.

I was nearly finished when I noticed the plants I'd brought over the years to spiff the place up.
In a little burst of spite, I took those home too; leaving the office barren and with little stains on the counters where the plants used to live.

They're just lucky I didn't take the fish home a la Jerry Maguire.

Anyway, I've realized that I've moved on. All is well. And as if I needed cosmic confirmation: the plant died. Moving on...

No comments: