30 August 2010

The Food Thing

I am in the Lifestyle Change versus Dieting camp.

If we look back five years ago, we would find that I ate like the average American teenager: soda for breakfast, starchy lunch, convenience food for dinner, snacks. I did work at a preschool so it was like a constant parade of food. I'm telling you: toddlers have all the luck. They eat all the good stuff because they need it to grow.

I've mentioned before that we've changed how we eat A LOT over the last two years. We went from processed foods, red meat, and soda to none of that. So essentially, I am like a reformed smoker.

Kevin and I are also from the "Just Do It" way of life.

The doctor said "no red meat"? Okay, done. Well, not that easily but you get the gist.

"No more processed foods" Well, that sucks but okay...it's better but there are just some things I just won't make from scratch.

Oh and the hyperglycemia from the Graves Disease...that's just so much fun *shaking of fists* To get in the habit of having Kevin eat every three hours is just a JOY. Also, to not fall into the habit of eating with him? equally as joyful...she writes sarcastically.

Turns out Kevin's body also doesn't refine sugar well so soda was replaced. I never would have thought that I would exist in this world without soda but here I am: alive and well. Go figure. Although I have replaced it with my beloved mochas so that turns out to be a wash. I do drink a lot more water now too...1 freaking liter a day, thankyouverymuch...so that's good.

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" I have heard that since watching Saturday morning cartoons. Until recently, I wasn't a fan. Actually, still am not a fan but I grit my teeth and eat a bowl of cereal every morning after Kevin leaves. Does it help? I am not sure. Kevin has oatmeal every single weekday and it has helped his cholesterol numbers so there's that. Maybe once the weather turns I will consider oatmeal but right now I have to force myself just to eat my Cheerios.

I guess if *I* can learn how to cook & eat more healthy then anyone can. I can now cook chicken, salmon, and halibut. Turkey is my new best friend. My constant friend Coke has been replaced by a water bottle. Can I just mention that I miss the sound of a soda can opening? Yeah, that's as pathetic as it sounded in my head.

I have developed about ten things that I make for dinner and they rotate-ish every other week. Our lunches are the same, same, same as we are both Creatures of Habit. His is turkey or tuna sandwiches while mine is the trustworthy PB&J.

What do you eat? Is it the same each day or do you switch it up?

3 comments:

Grey Ghost said...

Living alone,it's mostly whatevers living behind the fridge door.as long as it's not moving I'll cook it.lol.

Spanx said...

Having just been put on some hormones in the last few weeks, my eating has changed drastically. I now can only stomach: Protein bars, protein smoothies and water.. LOTS of water... Oh - and let's not forget my everyday CRAVING for Chick Fil A... I'm hoping this will change SOON.. GAH!

creative kerfuffle said...

there are maybe 10 meals that i seem to cook on a regular basis and few of those meals get the thumbs up from everyone at the same time. last night was tacos---kids were thrilled, hubs was like, eh, ok.
we have been on a slow change of eating track as well. i have to take it slow otherwise the natives will revolt. and although i love breakfast foods, i rarely eat them in the morning.