16 July 2012

Don't Hold Your Breath

I didn't know that I did it until I was living with Kevin: I hold my breath.  Specifically in stressful times, like when the flight/fight/freeze impulse kicks in. 

Think the dentist chair, think being in the hospital, think being in a confrontation.

I did some research and it's a coping skill that many children of alcoholics develop quirks like this.  It's about making yourself smaller, invisible, and not drawing attention to yourself.


Luckily for me I was aware of this prior to going into the hospital.  I could warn the paramedics, nurses, etc that I do it as not to panic if alarms went off. 

I love this song for a variety of reasons and I think of it often when I find myself in stressful situations.  I love how a song can do that.



No comments: