07 September 2021

Into the Oven, Gretel - A What Did Surely Take Apart Now Story

 A new stove has been on my to-do list for the last few years. It's eleven years old and an inexpensive one.  I've replaced drip pans and one burner and I'm lazy about cleaning the oven.  So it occurred to me about a month ago that I could do some maintenance first and see if that helps extend its life and performance.

Then it took forever to remember to find the manual for it.  It's buried in Monica's Closet because why wouldn't it be.  Then I ordered drip pans and burners from the amazon because I'm not going into stores right now.  It took a week for them to arrive and they've been sitting on the dryer for a week. 

Kevin let me sleep in this morning until ten.  I think he thought I was awake already and didn't check earlier.  He asked if I got enough sleep and it's like he doesn't know me at all.  My brain decided that today was the day to take apart the stove and oven.  At least Kevin was home in case I encountered disaster, which frankly is always a possibility.

I'm a failed environmentalist in the fact that I bought oven cleaner.  I looked at the baking soda, dish soap, vinegar route but with my alphabet brain, it wasn't realistic. I'm small so it would require me nearly crawling into the oven to make sure everything was covered. #nothanks.  Also, the very last thought I would have EVER is "Hey, I need to clean the oven" right before bed; as it requires soaking overnight.

In proper Surely fashion, I have managed to spray the oven but forgot to spray the racks because I put them outside.  Out of sight, out of mind but like for real. Then I had to make the bed and start the laundry to thwart the alphabet brain and now I've ran out of excuses not to dive into the rest of it.  Well, other than I have another 45 minutes before I can touch the oven and I know I'll forget.

Ugh. Before.

Sorry, not sorry, environment


Under the hood.  This is more my style

Sidenote: my environmental karma is the asthma is not enjoying the fumes. Well played, environment.

When I pulled the stove out of its cubbie, I found french fries.  Like a lot.  Then I remembered when I was really, really sick with bronchitis/pneumonia, I spilled them and thought "I'll get those when I'm better."  Better is apparently defined as three years later.



Luckily, the cubbie part was easy to clean. Other than I scratched the floor.  I think.  It might have been that way before.  I won't know how badly until I'm all done and mop.  Also luckily, Kevin did not notice when he helped me put it back into the cubbie and made sure it was balanced.

Also: for scratches: brown crayola crayon.  I'm just saying I might know something about that.  Also: thank you mother-in-law for that tip.

I used the shop vac to do the initial sweep of the floor and walls.  Then I also did the vents on the back of the oven and the intake for the fan, etc.  I wiped it all down and Kevin came in just in time to make sure it's level. (yes, that's a thing)

Yes, Kevin's shop vacuum.  And a potion of cleaners.
And readers to see the labels so I don't die

Right now I'm waiting for everything to finish soaking and for my lungs to forgive the assault I've put them through.  I'm a little If You Give A Mouse A Cookie because well, I'm writing this instead of doing something else stove related.  Like wash the pans I found in the warming drawer.

The warming drawer below the oven...mostly known as storage for pans you don't use...was messier than I thought it would be.  Crumbs, etc.  Years ago, when I still saw my family, they gave me new pans. I needed pots but grateful. Whatever.  (good example of my family right there)  The pans have been exiled to the drawer for years.  I need to do something with them.  Well, wash them first because eew.

In my defense, I only use two pans, one big and one small. Both non-stick because I am who I am.  These are not non-stick.  #firstworldproblems  The point being is I don't need these.  I'm certain my sister-in-law or niece will want them.

Oh and when Kevin came in to help me, he asked "Did you ever apply for that *bigboxhardwarestore* credit card?"  It's not that he doesn't have faith in me but he does live with me.  

Now I am at the This Is Never Going To Be Done stage.  I've cleaned the top, the surround, behind, under, the drawer and did the first pass of the oven.  I always forget that it takes two attempts in the oven because I don't do it often enough and the alphabet brain is always saying "You missed that spot right there. Right there. And that one."

So I was standing there, really wanting to drink when I realized that I had forgotten the range hood, the fan and the light.  FML.  I should have started there but whatever.  I also pulled off all of the knobs and set them to soak for a minute. Luckily I do all of this more often than the oven so it really didn't take me long.  This isn't stopping me from whining about it.

Stove knobs, light cover and vent screen
Properly soaked in dawn soap and baking soda

Now it's the "fun" part.  Unboxing and installing the new drip pans and burners.  Kevin was very impressed that I thought to buy new burners.  I had ordered a new oven element but realized I didn't need it so cancelled the order.  I was surprised to find that there is an element on the top of the oven too.  SIGH.  I will worry about that later.  Maybe it's not replaceable. Yeah.  We will go with that.

Okay, now it's an hour later.  Dude, I need a shower.  Ick.   Instead I am eating a victory bowl of Cheerios because I forgot to eat.  Everything is put right, cleaned up, and operational again. Rosie/Geoff Peterson is buzzing around the kitchen right now. I even remembered to turn the oven on warm so the next dinner I make doesn't have an aftertaste of easy-off.

Except.  Isn't there always an "except"?

Either I ordered or they sent two of each size pans and burners.  This stove has three small and one large.  Because of course.  Luckily, I didn't toss anything out of fear of something like this.  I found the least used pan and burner....yes, I paid attention when I took everything apart...cleaned them.  If you didn't know to look, you wouldn't notice.

Kevin went to the fabricator shop for the racecar and Lucy is asleep/pouting on the bed.  I'm going to go shower then watch something dumb on television.  And Kevin is going to bring dinner home.  Just because the range is clean and refurbished doesn't mean I have any intention of using it tonight.

Update: 

Nephew stopped by so he scored new pans and lids.  The new burner arrived today and doesn't fit so back it goes. The drip pan won't be here until next week.  It's odd to have a burner that gets all the way hot instead of randomly hot.  I suspect some burnt dinners are in my future. Well, more. More burnt dinners.

Then this cued my brain to look at the cupboards where the pots live.  I pulled out everything and put them on the island.  Just in time for Kevin to walk in and exclaim "What the f#$k are you doing NOW?" I don't know why he's even surprised anymore.  

The cupboards are really deep so I have everything kind of spread out among one large and small cupboards so that everything is lined up in the front of the cupboard.  I've now consolidated them into one cupboard.  I have a cookie sheet that I hate because it's too long to fit two in the oven on the same rack, I know it's easily solvable but now I have an attitude toward it.  I have multiple cake pans because when I make brownies for the parents, it takes forever for Kevin to bring it back and they've scratched every one of them.  (ugh)  I know I'm not a great baker but they shouldn't need a steak knife to cut brownies.

This also uses one of the extra baskets I bought at the dollar store so that makes me happy.  Now we'll try this system and see if it actually is workable with my brain. 

See that cookie sheet that is hanging out?
It's not my favorite.  I don't know why I kept it



2 comments:

Gigi said...

Oh God, you just HAD to clean your oven! That reminds me that *I* need to clean our oven! *sigh* If it were just me, I'd probably only have to clean it once in a decade or so...but with The Husband...I should probably do it twice a year (notice I said *probably*).

As for the brownie pans. Here's a tip I learned about brownies YEARS ago and it makes life so much easier - and doesn't scratch the pans. Make the brownies, let them cool for about 10-15 minutes, take a plastic knife (the kind you use at fast food places) and cut the brownies while still warm. Then you could either transfer them to a plate or leave them as is and the in-laws can use a spatula to remove them.

As to the cookie sheet - replace it. It's worth it for your own peace of mind.

And congrats on cleaning the oven...even if you did remind me of this onerous chore that I've been actively avoiding...

Anonymous said...

I love when you clean and organize things because it makes me feel like I did something productive too. Just by reading about it!