25 October 2021

Playing Goldilocks - A What Did Surely Take Apart Now Story

 You know when is a good time to take your bedroom apart?  Not right after a conference that required travel and during a work deadline. 

As always, learn from me. Welcome to today's edition of What Did Surely Take Apart Now?

We have needed a new mattress for a few years.  I would mention this periodically and until recently, Kevin would say that he felt like it was fine.  Neither of us can remember how old the mattress is so that's a good indicator of need right there.  

We distinctly remember that our old mattress broke on the day of a family reunion so we had to leave early and hardy har har har Surely and Kevin broke their bed.  I know it was in the old house so it was pre-2005, which still falls into the it's way past time to replace the mattress timeframe.   But it's one of those things that keeps getting put off by other things.  

But then I spent a week sleeping on an air mattress during quarantine/Covid so our old mattress felt like heaven when I finally was able to return to it.  I forgot that the mattress needed replacing for a little while.

Then I went to Vegas.  And had this wonderful huge bed:


I got home on Thursday then Friday night we went to "just look"; of which we know better.  We don't "just look" at cars or puppies.  It seems mattresses are now added to the list.  We didn't get anything particularly fancy and it was still expensive. Sheesh.  Well, we did pay a little extra so the head and feet raises a bit.  I think Kevin was trying to plan ahead with that decision. He even said "Imagine if someone broke their ankle" with a side-eye.  Well, then someone would have forty-five days of bedrest with using every pillow in the neighborhood.

The kid - because I'm at the age where all the salespeople are children - remarkably didn't try to upsell us.  I have an innate dislike for salespeople and often cannot fix my face.  Also, Kevin has become more direct in the last few years so the kid read the room appropriately.  We tested three mattresses, which is so awkward when someone is looming nearby, and agreed pretty easily which one we wanted.

We left there and went to eat dinner.  We talked about what to do and how to do it.  Kevin wanted to take advantage of the "free" financing and I wanted to not or at least do half and half.  Kevin won out in the way that we financed it but I'm paying it off in large chunks.  

Now, in order to do the financing, it had to be completed online. No worries, I'm a geek and this will be easy.  It was.  Right up until - and I swear this is true - we had to provide proof of life.  Proof of life being a five second selfie video where you turn your head both ways to prove it's indeed you and that you're alive.  Shudder.  

Then, because we plan our lives so well, there had to be an actual phone call to complete the process.  By the time we completed Kevin's part and did mine, the offices were closed.  So I had to set an alarm to wake me so I could phone first thing in the morning to complete the process.  Sigh.  

But it went fine and after going back to sleep for a little bit, I went back to the store and ordered the mattress.  I was ready for "it will take at least a month because Covid" but nope, Monday.  Okay, no pressure.  Needing all new bedding in 24 hours? no worries.  Because why not start a week with your bedroom torn up while working a deadline.

It was delivered and set-up as promised.  They texted my phone the night before with the delivery window, which was surprisingly small.  Then the next day they gave me a thirty-minute warning that they were about to arrive.

I had worked most of the day because frequently mentioned deadline PLUS still tired from the travel. Then afterward, I took apart the bedroom.  I moved the bed stands out of the way.  I propped the mattress and bedspring against the wall.  I attempted to take the frame apart but Kevin must have been annoyed when he put it together because I couldn't loosen the bolts.  

Oh, and both the salesperson and the scheduler mentioned having a clear pathway for the delivery guys.  INCLUDING any pictures on the wall.  OMGNO.  So not happening.  I told both of them "There are tens of photos on the wall, I will have to risk it."  They were careful and not one photo was lost in the process.

All said and done, they were here maybe forty-five minutes.  They took away the old and installed the new and demonstrated how it works.

It actually fits in the room nicely with our furniture so that's good.  I remember when we walked through the model house, the room seemed gigantic and it was because it was set up with only a full-sized bed in a little bit of trickery.  So there was a little panic when we moved in with our queen size and the room shrank.  Now it's shrank a little bit again.  

Remember we bought a bed frame with head and foot board two years ago, just prior to the pandemic.  I liked it so much and I didn't want to replace it.  However, Kevin wasn't a big fan of the footboard because he's tall.  He feels like Ned in the Too Short Bed.




But the frame is queen sized and now we have a king size.  So, to the installers amusement, the headboard is just propped up behind the bed.  The headboard is a little too small but I still like it.  Kevin said it looks fine but it can't just stay propped so he's going to just bolt it to the wall. I mean, no one else is going to live here so might as well.

Shortly after we bought the headboard, I replaced the quilt so it's fairly new.  I tried to make the quilt work because I love it so and I didn't want to spend MORE money.  Unfortunately, it would only work turned horizontally but it's still just a little bit too short and yet, too wide.  Also, the ocd doesn't enjoy that the stripes are vertical. I tried it for a few days and it just made me squint every time I walked into the room. I gave up and ordered a larger one.  

I bought flannel sheets at Kroger the day I ordered the bed and am a little disappointed. The last set I bought there were really nice.   But these are just not great quality and the color is a bland oatmeal. The other options were snowflakes or hunting themes because apparently that's the law if you have flannel sheets.  But I bought another set online and they're heavy and gorgeous.  I tried to screenshot a photo but they look army green instead of deep dark green that they are. 

I have slept well since and will admit that I have gone back to bed for a little nap a few mornings.  I really like having the space in bed, even though I think it unintentionally hurt Kevin's feelings.  I kept explaining that one of the recommendations for people who don't sleep well is a larger bed. (hello, privilege)   AND THEN there's Lucy who can be a bed hog.  ALSO, he had it installed significantly lower so it's not such a big jump for her to jump up or down.  

You would think I was done but I wasn't.  You can't see them well in the photo below but we had antique lamps that were Kevin's grandmothers.  They had a white ceramic base, like a candy dish.  The original shades were frilly and ruffley.  I replaced the shades then used them because they looked fine.  But now with the new paint and now new bed, they stood out in their grandma appearance. Then I brought home my lamps from my office that I haven't fully moved out of yet. But they were too small, so I ended up buying cheap lamps from the amazon. They're mid-century modern and I ended up really liking them.

So, new mattress, bedding and now lamps.  The paint is less than a year old.  I think I'm done now.  
We started with this in 2005:

Yes, that is an old waterbed headboard and frame
I'm a recycler

To this, a truly grownup bed/bedroom:



No comments: