20 February 2022

My Eyes are Too Big

Okay, where we were in this adventure.  Oh yes, so then on Wednesday....

I went for the post-op appointment and they did the tests and stuff.  They said it was okay to resume normal activities.  But it will be THREE, not two, weeks until I can get new glasses.  So that was disappointing but not the end of the world.  So I'm all skippity skip skip, I can start my life again.

Kevin asked what I was doing after the appointment because I am looking for a new loveseat/couch and he just wants to pick it up and not be part of the search.  I told him I was going home to work because I'm a grownup.  Then while driving, I seriously considered stopping at one store but decided not to.  I came home to try to get back to "normal".

Well, an hour into being home and I have a migraine.  UGH. MiGRaiNe.   So much UGH.  I think what had happened was they did not dilate or numb my eyes for this test.  I am unsure if it was intentional or not.  One of the tests is a pressure test that includes basically booping the actual eye with a lighted wand.  I'm guessing that's what the cause was.  Knowing the cause does not help but here we are. WHEW. I was so FRUSTRATED.

So, now I was sleeping on the couch with all the lamps off for most of the day.  And copious pouting.

I emailed my job partner that evening when I could tolerate a screen.  The subject line: "gdammit" and the body just explained the above.

Thursday I could feel that my eyes were tired but they didn't hurt and the headache was gone. I felt dehydrated, if nothing else, which I wasn't but whatevs.  I kind of half-heartedly went about my day. The whole I'm Not Immediately Better After Two Surgeries thing really had taken a toll so the unreasonable pouting continued.

I discovered that the last pair of glasses I had were now working again.  I alternate between the pretty purple ones and those now, depending on the time of day.  Also, still not in the habit of being able to be without them in the house. (nowhere else, just the house).  I'm working in little increments of time so that I don't overdo it and have another episode.  I'm still limiting my screentime because even though they said go back to normal, I feel like it's not quite time yet.

Then on Friday,  Fridays are when I do errands like groceries, work, stuff for the racecar, and walkies.  I hadn't had a full Friday in a while. You can probably see where this is going...unintentional vision pun!

I did my errands, did walkies, stopped at the post office, then made the questionable decision to make one more stop because Lucy had been in the truck for awhile and I wanted to take photos.  By the time I returned to the truck, I knew I had made a mistake.

Back home and back to the couch with the lights off and a compress on my eyes.  I am a specific kind of stupid.  I was okay, just okay, by the time Kevin got home from work (and brought dinner).  He noticed I was quiet and I mentioned "I mighta overdone it today."  He just gave that disapproving glance that spouses given one another when one has been particularly dumb.  

After dinner, I snoozed on the couch while he watched car t.v.  Then I slept through the night so that was good. Oh, except at about 3:00 am when I awoke to find Lucy completely In The Bed, like a people.  I don't know how she managed that, but she did.  I do know that she's been on my heels or hip, depending on location, for the past week.  #goodgirl

Saturday I slept in a little bit then we went and bought a couch.  As I told my friend: "Have Two Surgeries, Get A Couch."  This process went better than when we bought two chairs this time last year. No major remodeling and Kevin's BFF just happened to stop by for a visit in time to load the old couch into the truck.  Hooray!  By the end of the day, I wasn't wearing glasses because my eyes weren't tolerating anything at that point beyond drops, compresses, and being closed. #Ineverlearn

I explained, perhaps too explicitly to my job partner, that what this feels like is that I want to pop my eye out with a fork.  It's gritty, swollen, and sore and feels like it needs to be soaked in a warm bath.  If I really overdo (just prior to migraine status) there is a funky strobe-light thing that happens around my peripheral vision.  On the regular, it feels like my eyes are too big for my head.  At the least, it feels like when you very first get contacts.

Oh! I almost forgot: so the white is purple thing.  (it's still happening btw) is kind of cool actually.  Because the cataracts were acting like screens, my eyes are having to relearn colors.  That's why everything was so VIVID when they were first fixed.  The most prominent color is blue and the brain has to decide what the actual color is, gets tired and decides it's purple. (quick synopsis, not gospel) THEN the eye doctor guy (not the surgeon) explained that it is thought that one of the Masters had cataracts because in the late days, his paintings heavily featured shades of blue. He couldn't think of the name so he googled it - immediately making him my best friend.  Monet!  One of my favorite Masters, actually.  So, I have that going for me.

I've resumed makeup, which I was really considering while I wasn't.  However, the vast improvement of not looking like near death overrode my decision.  The first day I put it all back on, I felt like a Jody Bergsma doll, my eyes just looked big in my head. 

Jody Bergsma is a regional artist, but you might recognize her work

Today my only job is to hold down the couch.  I'm going to try to read an actual book because I haven't really tried at all.  Screens are still not my friend unless they're set on dark mode, which not all apps feature. I have the protective UV/privacy screens for my computer but so far they've been more of a hassle than a help.  I'm waiting until this is all done before I make a decision about those.  

So one more time for those in the back:

If you need this surgery, don't hesitate because I'm whining about it.   Mostly I have unrealistic expectations AND it's not as easy peasy as everyone makes it seem.


No comments: