05 February 2022

At Least I Have Magazines

The other day I learned that the restrictions that are given upon eye surgery are for a reason.  Everything is fine, I'm fine. I'm just an idiot.

One of the restrictions is not lifting heavy things.  I thought that because I was seven days past the initial surgery date, that meant I could unload the truck of multiple 40 lb. bags.  To be fair to me, I waited the seven days and the weight limit was 50 lbs.  I know, I know. I KNOW.

This choice landed me on the couch for the afternoon with ibuprofen, saline drops, and warm compresses.  Again: because I'm an idiot.  Especially since I didn't necessarily NEED to do it, I wanted to do it.

Now I'm days until the second surgery.  I'm not as anxious as I was before the first surgery.  Some because I now know how it's going to play out and some because I'm trying not to let it get to me like last time.

The thing I've learned is that: this surgery is not as easy peasy as they make it seem.  Also, this surgery is different than vision correction laser surgery that most people get.  I somehow didn't realize that.  Still not as easy as the "You'll be great in a few days." that I was told/had heard.  If you know me, you know I'm not patient in these situations.  

Then I thought: let's reframe this.  I was on bedrest for almost two months, not walking for however long.  How did I deal with that?  Oh, yeah.  HIGH.  That's how I dealt with that. Painkillers and nerve blockers. So, that reframing didn't work At All.

It's been decided that I need to have drops in my eyes every four hours after all; when originally, I wasn't supposed to.  To add insult to injury, they are not the little eye drops that you get for a dollar when you're hungover .  They're expensive - bearable but expensive.  Also, my little green heart is hating that they are single-use packets.  I'm going to figure out another brand of drops that come in a bottle, not single-use, thus preventing filling up the landfills.  Also, because alphabet brain, I need want to have them on the even numbers so like 6:00 a.m., 10:00 a.m., etc.  It is super fun in my brain right now.  Instead, I have set an alarm on my phone for every four hours. 

I still see purple when looking at pure white.  I thought it was caused by blood but I'm wondering if it's the shiny new lens in my eye. It makes looking outside at the sky A TRIP when I first awake and I have to continually remind myself that the sky is not purple.  My glasses are still working well but that all changes after the second surgery again. Worse case, I will take out one lens and look like a complete dork until I get the new prescription in a few weeks.  The vividness is less - or I've adjusted - so I feel less like a cat that is high on catnip.

Like when I was on bedrest, etc. years ago, I forgot that I go feral when I'm hurt or sick.  Just leave me be and let me do my thing.  Kevin's handling this pretty well, not hovering and offering help once then leaving me alone, which is what I prefer. (and him, if we're being honest)   He doesn't comment or remind because he knows it will just make me stabby.  I am super extra fun to live with in these situations.

Because I needed something to distract me, I colored my hair a darker color.  I forget that when I do this, my hair gets ginger accents and that the darker color washes me out. And bonus: no makeup to try to offset it.  I'm switching it back the day before the surgery.  (oh, and I taped my eye shut when I did it the first time, in case you were worried)

The surgery on Tuesday is late in the day so that will be fun with the not eating thing.  I have a plan: right after Kevin leaves for work at 5:15 am, I am going to have a legitimate breakfast.  Then right before the not-eating deadline, have a Luna bar and some smoothie. I'll work like regular to keep me distracted, then take a nap so I'm not crabby and hungry.  Hypothetically.

I'm self-quarantining because I am taking zero risk of having to postpone this business. (also, it feels like a good human thing to do for the surgeon, etc. who are working literally IN MY FACE)  I'm already bored.  My chores are completely done.  I did a computer project for Kevin and I even deep cleaned the dishwasher.  

As a result of that boredom, I sorted through all my glasses.  I'm sending the ones I don't want to donation and keeping two frames that I'll have lenses put into.  (one sunglass, one regular)  It's been a little over a week and I'm not needing the readers for the computer now so that's intriguing.  I still need them for actually reading though.   

Then I was thinking "Oh, I'll gather all the stuff for donation and take it on Monday."  Umm, no because you're quarantining you silly rabbit.  Now I'm annoyed about that.  I bought a star gazer lamp for my bedroom, because I'm six, and it arrived broken.  I need to send that back and nope, gonna have to wait.  Add two levels of annoyance with that.  

Now Kevin has left to go to the fabricator's shop.  I was originally going to watch television with Lucy but in my cleaning, I realized that I can actually read that giant stack of magazines that I keep moving around the house.  So, if you need me I am on the couch, under my Snoopy pity blanket, reading literally and not figuratively, one year's worth of magazines.  (People, HGTV, Real Simple, Country Living, and Vanity Fair, if you're curious)

Again, if you NEED vision correction surgery, then absolutely don't let my whining and crankiness deter you from getting it done.  Just know it's probably not as easy as it sounds.  If you're doing it for cosmetic reasons, then have a think on that.

There's another stack in the living room


No comments: