08 April 2022

April Fools Week. Wait, Month

So, how's your life going?  Well? Awful?  Somewhere in between?  I retweeted a post the other day that said:


Because I am feeling that in my bones right now.  It's been two weeks now, actually since I began this post.  Looking around at what's happening last week and where do I begin? Okay, last, last Sunday.  We'll begin at the beginning.

The sibs-in-law made lasagna for everyone. Not cooking on Sunday is always appreciated.  And...food poisoning.  About two hours after dinner, Kevin asked "So...how's your stomach?"  To which I replied "Oh good, I'm glad you asked. I thought it was just me."  We were both sick, Kevin was good enough to go to work the next morning, I was not.

Work was one of those do-things-twice weeks that just make me grit my teeth.  Then I forgot it was Spring Break the following week and I wasn't prepared; so that was a little (self-applied) pressure.  Then it created the whole "Hey, I'm out next week, plan accordingly" craziness that is the resulting panic from my coworkers. 

New glasses.  They arrived on Thursday afternoon and .... they're wrong.  After singing the praises of the website, the glasses are wrong.  HOWEVER, there are variables to be considered: was there an error?  Is it just an adjustment period? Was there something physically changed with the new eyes?

I planted them on my head and tried to make them work.  Nope.  I tried to define what exactly was wrong and it took a little bit to figure it out because my eyes are essentially brand new right now.  I believe that the lower part of my lenses are ALL the reading prescription, instead of just a small portion.  SIGH.  This has just gone SO WELL.  (*sad sarcasm*)

Well, I planned on getting new lenses in the old reading glasses so I went to do that.  TWO WEEKS OUT.  I did it anyway then came home and ordered a new, cheap pair of glasses to see which arrive first and hoping that the prescription isn't the problem. (I don't think it is, that's how I feel okay with my over-reactive, perhaps probably impulsive, decision)

Then, I had one of those Fridays that was full of errands, including taking Lucy to the vet.  We finished at the vet then was on the way to drop off a test when...my truck check engine light came on.  It was drivable but I could feel that it wasn't right.  I dropped off my test then scurried home, parked it, and got into the old truck to try to salvage the rest of my day.

Instead, I had errands to do over the weekend.  A second trip into town plus wrong glasses, plus a broken vehicle was more than my brain could take.

But this is really what the topic of this post turned out to be :

Back to the broken vehicle. I have two other trucks to drive so it's not the End of the World.  (in case you're all Wow, Surely, you have all the vehicles. One truck is the one that was totaled and repaired which also has 600,000 miles on it and the other is Kevin's big diesel which is fun to drive but A LOT for me)

Kevin put his foot down and said We have to get a new vehicle.  To every other normal human, the reaction would be Yea!  Then there's me.  I hate car payments, I hate car salesmen, I am terrified of getting a new car and having it breakdown.  But here we are.

Also, Kevin rarely makes declarations like that so it's big when it happens. Usually he's "Whatever you want."  Until I'm being a child then he draws the line. Fair enough.  Okay, so I can do this.

I really loved the Nissan I rented in Vegas. But we need 4-wheel or AWD.  Their SUV's are okay.  They're also EVERYWHERE and it feels like they're all black.  Our mechanic recommended Subaru and EVERYONE who doesn't have a Nissan here in the PNW, has a Subaru.  I acknowledge that it's childish but I just can't with the being normal thing.

So, then MATH.  We can get a new Subaru for less than an used Nissan.  I kind of resigned myself to that but I want a sporty one, not the mom of two kids and runs marathons one.  Sporty, of course, increases the pricetag.

NEXT, MECHANICS.  Kevin asked one of his former crew who now owns his own mechanic shop what we should buy.  Neither of those were on the list.  Seriously. Seriously.  Actually, he said Subaru is fine, they just have Known Issues.  Easily fixable but issues all the same.   

NOW WHAT; He said that Honda or Toyota is the way to go, which we knew, but so expensive.  He explained that its a Pay for it At First instead of Every Once in a While as the car ages.   

FINE, I will look for a Toyota that is a price that won't make me cry every time I look at it or our bank account. I'm not a fan of the Honda body styles. (#sorrynotsorry)

BUT we still have to fix my truck in order to sell or trade it.  The mechanic is a month out so it is parked will be yard art for a month.  Sigh.  Yesterday I took everything out of it and cleaned it up, preparing myself to part with it.

THEN the mechanic who is fixing it told Kevin "DON'T BUY NEW RIGHT NOW"  He insists on fixing mine and having us wait until new car prices aren't the same amount as a new kidney.  I had resigned my fate to a car payment then not.  Hooray?

Kevin was worried that I would be disappointed and I was all NOPE.  Relief.  This creates space to figure out what I want and time to figure out/cope with the idea of car payments.  Also, hopefully, the prices will go down but I'm skeptical of that. Because: capitalism.

He took me out to dinner Sunday night as a date night/consolation prize.  As we walked back out to our truck, I pointed out a Toyota truck that I really like.  Kevin said "Oh, I would be jealous if you got one of these...."  So, we're probably getting a truck.  Not to make him jealous but so we both are happy. Sigh.  

#firstworldproblems #privilege

P.S.  Zenni was great about the glasses issue. I'm waiting for their feedback as to if the prescription is wrong.  However, my new lenses came early for the other glasses and the prescription is good.  There's a massive adjustment because New Eyes but I was relieved that I could see.

4 comments:

Swistle said...

Oh no about the glasses---especially since I know you were counting the days until you could get them!!

We too are in Hover Mode about a new car: we need one, but...not Right Now.

Suzanne said...

Oh my goodness WHAT a week. I hope that your glasses issue can be sorted quickly - what a disappointment!

And the car issue - I agree it's a relief to be able to defer the Car Buying to later. It is SO stressful.

Gigi said...

I'm soo glad to hear that Zenni was great about the issue. I've used another website and they were also great. I think they know they have to be since people are counting them to be able to SEE.

It's good news that you are deferring on getting a newer car. I love my newish-to-me RAV4. Just throwing that suggestion out there.

Kara said...

My husband got a Hyundai Santa Fe, because he can't stomach filling up his gas guzzling truck (a Nissan Titan that gets 12 MPG, on a good day). It's used, but new to us. Not quite as new as we'd like, but it was available.