16 June 2022

Positive and Negative

Just now I was standing, in the sun pouring through the kitchen window, making hummingbird food.  Happily stirring, watching the bees in the garden, and listening to music. And I thought:

"Whew, I was anxious this morning."

What had happened was:

Kevin called this morning and his Covid test came back positive. FML.  His work provides tests and he took one.  It looks like he's on the tail end of it though.  (one bright line, one faint line)  He feels like he just has a cold/allergies but he's been sick since Saturday evening.  We've been distancing from each other and staying away from family altogether.  I've been wanting him to test but his work wife finally got him to do it this morning.  

Again, louder for those in the back: FML.

So I went and got tests from my work (what a effed up benefit, by the way) and I tested twice, both with negative results.  We were a little concerned because I've had allergy symptoms this week; thus the two tests.

Kevin said "You're just too mean to catch it" which made me legit LOL.

He caught it via work and unvaxxed coworkers AGAIN.  This time he talked to the owner of the company about This Has Got To Stop.   Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot to be done.  They're Essential Services, they mostly work outside, and most employees are from the political party of non-believers.

Meanwhile, I had to think of when the last time I saw the parents; Taco Tuesday for just a few minutes.  And who else did I see?  The chiropractor and my BFF.  Thank the universe for working from home and living a small life.  Still, though, I didn't want to have to tell any of those people that I had tested positive.

To recap from an earlier post where the family hosted a possible super spreader event:

Kevin's sense of taste has gone away.  He says not quite all the way but probably about 75% gone.  His sense of smell is almost 100% gone.  

He can't drink soda or carbonated beverages or Iced tea or lemonade. Milk and coffee are Meh.  Water is fine.  Orange juice is fine but not any other fruit juice.

Food is eaten to survive, not to necessarily enjoy.

There are certain smells and tastes that send him over.  We had to change his deodorant brand because it would make him wretch if he caught a whiff.  Meanwhile, he still can't smell my perfume or anything else enjoyable.

He was ten months out from his original Covid adventure and now we're starting the clock all over again.

AND THEN, because there's always an AND THEN, yesterday morning we got a call from a friend that one of our friends was hospitalized with Covid and underlying conditions.  They had discovered him unconscious and not breathing during the night.  

He lives with and cares for his elderly parents and his mom's intuition kicked in during the night.  She checked on him and found him, otherwise he would have probably been gone in the morning.  He'll be in the hospital for a while and will recover with hopefully few deficits.

I cannot WAIT for a day that we're not talking about this.  It feels like that day never will be.

Thankful for free testing.  Thankful his case is mild and that I've dodged it twice. Thankful that our friend was discovered in time and will recover.  Thankful for vaccines that made the mildness and immunity possible.  


3 comments:

Gigi said...

I'm so sorry. What do people NOT understand? The more the virus is allowed to mutate the more people will get it again and again and, possibly, it might mutate to the point where the vaccine is useless. I hope he, and your friend, have a speedy recovery and that you continue to dodge it.

Surely said...

Hey GiGi,
I know, RIGHT? I cannot believe that a) this keeps happening and 2) everyone is so lalalalalalalal about it.

I had read that the vaccine will hopefully knock the virus down to a flu or cold level of illness. If Kevin is any indication, it's true. Also, this will be the second time he's had it and I have NOT. (knocking all the wood in all the places)
Thanks for the kind thoughts and the shared moral outrage at the dumb birthday party

Gigi said...

Personally, I think the only way the vaccine will push it down to something like the flu is if EVERYONE was vaccinated. But I'm not a scientist, so who knows.

And as I tell those who say, "I had it and it was just like a cold!" - lucky you then because you never know how you might react. I heard one woman's story about her boosted and vaxxed husband, he came down with it and was so sick for weeks that she kept checking just to make sure he was still breathing.

The whole thing is just infuriating.