17 June 2022

That One Hour

 There's one hour a week, usually every Friday, that I just hate.  Hate it.  

And this post will be chock FULL of privilege, by the way.

I do all my errands on Fridays.  Post office, groceries, gas, farm store. I usually start it with long walkies (over one mile) with Lucy so she'll not be a 35-pound, furry toddler in the truck.  

While this is great and good, when I get home?  Sigh, this is the hour that I hate.

Unloading everything out of the truck takes time. It takes walking from one end of the house to the other and then some, plus stairs.  There's Lucy and Lucy's stuff. Groceries and whatever else I've purchased.  Then there's the cleaning out of the truck because Lucy has fur and I have OCD.  

Then there's the putting away of said groceries and sundries.  I'm  so much not a "Just leave it until later" person.  All the while squelching the "The trash needs to be taken out.  The bathroom needs cleaned, I'll just do it because I'm standing here. Throw out those bananas. Tidy the recycling" nonsense that runs through my brain.

I make myself be methodical instead: unload everything onto the counter and sort: dry goods, refrigerator, bathroom, and other.  Then I put it all away accordingly, or I try to.  This prompts the throwing out of the bananas because now I've got more to sacrifice to the kitchen gods.  It creates more recycling.  For every "I'll just..." impulse, I have to say "No, no, you won't just..." and stay where I'm planted.

Since January, I've been employing Swistles Ennui Eradicator by buying fresh cut flowers.  Add that to the tasks that mount up during that one hour on Fridays.  Granted, it's a happy task: arranging fresh flowers but it is still one more thing, happy or nah.  (cough...super, extra privilege...ahem)

Right now there's washing being done because Covid.  The groceries are 99% put away but my truck is still a mess. Because I had to get into Monica's Closet to get an extra blanket, so now here I am tippy-tapping on my keyboard instead of putting away the remaining 1% of groceries and cleaning my truck before it rains.  

And now it's raining.

1 comment:

Swistle said...

Ha ha, I do that same thing with the flowers!! I will say to myself "I KNOW you are not complaining about having to take your LUXURY PURCHASE, which only in recent years have you been able to afford, and put it in a vase with some water. I KNOW you are not feeling resentful and burdened about THAT." (But I am!)