17 March 2010

Vulnerable

Things seem to come in threes. This month that seems to be proven true.

One of my friends lost her husband to complications from H1N1 earlier this month. I attended his memorial last Monday, which was a strange little trip as it featured many people from my past.

Joe is the first spouse in my universe to pass so that really hit a chord with us. We felt a little vulnerable after hearing of Joe's unexpected passing. The first example of getting older with your friends that doesn't include birthdays, weddings, or baby showers. Joe was a sweetheart of a guy and will be missed.

One of our dearest friends landed on our doorstep last week with an imploding marriage. Heartbreaking doesn't quite describe experiencing that with him. Again, it is one of the first separations/divorces we've experienced first-hand other than our own. (I know, we're lucky right?)

To add to the fun, Kevin has a cold. He only gets about one annually but it always causes me to fret. He's a healthy guy but with a compromised immune system, a cold always puts me on high alert. One of the after-effects from his radiation is like a chemo-cough. It went away after about a year but once he gets a cold, it returns for awhile. Another reminder of time passing.

Things come in threes, good & bad. I'm ready for some good.

1 comment:

Not Your Aunt B said...

So sorry to hear of your friend's passing and your other friend's divorce. Hope Kevin feels better soon! I know you worry about him.