08 March 2010

The Time I Drove Drunk

Actually I wasn't remotely drunk at all, but that's a catchy title.

A long time ago my high school friend returned after being gone for years. I met her in town for dinner and drinks. This was a big event as we were adults now. The last time we saw each other "and drinks" wasn't possible.

We had dinner and I had one drink, like wine with the dinner. It was nothing really. But I was aware, hours later that I had to drive home. I wasn't buzzed, at all. It was hours before I drove, just to be clear.

I got off the freeway and came to a stop because there was an oncoming car. It turns out it was a sheriff's car. I joked to myself "Whew, at least it's in front of me." Again, knowing that my blood alcohol level was non-existent.

My home is about two miles from the freeway, on a dark country road. At the time, there were only about five houses on the road and the further you got away from the freeway the more distance between houses. Our driveway is a gravel road that crosses a small creek and, at the time, was overgrown.

I pulled up to the small creek and out of the bushes step out TWO DEPUTIES. One on each side. Guns drawn.

Oh.

My.

God.

I was so scared. What the hell was going on?

"Do you live here?" the deputy asks.

"Yes"

"Where?"

"Right there. Second house."

"I'm afraid I can't let you by."

"Wait, what? why?"

Remember I mentioned the other day the crazy neighbor? Yeah, this was pre-Drug Bust.
He had gone ballistic and they were trying to flush him out of the house. The house & neighborhood was surrounded.

I told the deputy that I had nowhere to go. (where I live is 20 minutes from everywhere)

"Is there anyone home?"

"Yes, my husband. He's sleeping."

"Lock your door, roll up your window. Go quickly. Go straight into the house, lock your doors, and wake up your husband."

Holy EFF.

I totally Duke's Of Hazzard'd into our driveway. I ran into the house like a crazy person and woke up Kevin. At first, he was not happy then he was fascinated. He got up and went out onto our screened in porch, trying to see something. I know, right? He has no sense.

Nothing happened, we ended up falling asleep. I called the next day and it turned out that the neighbor had bailed out of the house (there was a giant hole in the bedroom floor, it turns out. that's a whole other story) sometime during the siege.

But that's a great story, huh? I still can't believe it actually happened.

Have you ever had a crazy encounter with the police, or is it just me?

3 comments:

Swistle said...

When I was a teenager, four of us were driving home from a YOUTH GROUP MEETING of all things, and we got pulled over because our car matched the description of one involved in a fatal hit-and-run accident, so the officer was searching the car's exterior for, um, bits of person. FURTHERMORE, we had a realistic-looking black water gun in the glove compartment.

Not Your Aunt B said...

That's just you! And Swistle! I love that you say your husband has no sense. That would be my husband too. And maybe me, too. How crazy!

Bethany said...

Woahhh that's crazy! We had a funny encounter with the police once, we were on our way home from a trip and it was my mom and 7 kids in a 15 passenger van. The police trailed us for a while and my siblings were making faces at the policeman/woman. When the lights of the police car came on, my siblings FREAKED out thinking it was them who was in trouble. In reality the police were looking for two vans involved in a robbery and there happened to be another van near us on the highway. LOL!