18 May 2011

Here's Who I Listen To

I've mentioned that I am a research nerd.  I love looking up random stuff, definitions of words, and reading.

I started being interested in politics during the last horrifying months of George The Idiot Kings reign of stupidity.  I started to look into different websites and publications so I could know about things that were going on in the world.  Being friends with our Canadian friends also made me realize that I wasn't as knowledgeable about our own politics and goings-on as I should be.

It's been long enough that I don't remember where I met my boyfriend Andrew Sullivan.  I think he was on Bill Maher.  I love that he's fiscally conservative, Catholic, gay and married.  I love that he admits when he was wrong or states when he's changed his mind.

I've been a fan of Bill Maher fan for a long time.  I enjoy that he calls a spade a gardening tool, as Kevin says.  I don't agree with his pro-pot opinions or his anti-religion but that's what makes it interesting to listen.
He gathers smart people around him and fact checks.  He's how I "met" Neill Degrasse Tyson and Dr Cornell West.  Two people who talk so far over my head but don't make me feel stupid.

Then there's the dream team of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.  I enjoy that they are using their powers for good to out the far right and FOX News.  In a fun and entertaining way, they teach us.

Strangely, I don't listen to NPR.  I am just not a fan.  I can only imagine the "Schwetty Balls" skit from Saturday Night Live.   I do listen to Howard Stern and Rosie O'Donnell on the radio, both of whom are outspoken and knowledgeable.  Both of whom I don't always agree with.  Therein lies my convoluted point: you have to listen also to the people you don't agree with.  I just don't listen to the people (cough *Glenn Beck* ahem) that make me crazy.  Life is too short to let those people in my head.

I do read, probably more than I should.  Mostly online, which can be tricky but I only go to mainstream, if you will, news sites.  Huffington Post is my favorite although I am not pleased with the AOL merger and that it gets a little tabloidy when it's a slow news day.

To balance the HuffPo, I also read The Daily Beast and Salon.  I think it's important to read all kinds of sites.  That being said, you will never hear me refer to anything from Fox News that isn't mocking.  It's the lack of fact checking that I just can't roll with and then add the tabloid way of delivery and I am out.

I love Rachel Maddow.  I want to be her someday.  She makes being wicked smart and funny cool.  I enjoy that she can switch from discussing world issues to how to make a mixed drink in the blink of an eye.  I see Brian Williams in the same light.

I think gaining knowledge about world events has been nothing but easier with the advent of  the internet.  On the flip side, a person can just as easily get sucked into the dark side.  This is why I stick to the sites I do. As a whole, they're not right or left.  Surely, each of them lean a direction but for the most
 part take a middle road. I think I enjoy the everything but the kitchen sink way of presenting news most of all.  Every story, be it news, entertainment or lifestyle has the ability to teach something.

Who do you read or listen to?  Is there someone I am missing?

No comments: