31 July 2014

Everything Takes 15 Minutes

Or so it would seem, in my life.

I noticed, when I was home from throwing myself down the stairs, that most things take about 15 minutes.  Switching laundry loads? yes.  Emptying the dishwasher? yes.  Showering? yes.  Walking to the mailbox? yes. Writing this post? yes.

I think I started to notice this when I was on bed rest and had limited time to be "up."  Everything seems to happen in fifteen minutes time.  There's even the Warhol quote of everyone has fifteen minutes of fame.  (Why, yes, I've had that as well.)

Now that I'm home again on "vacation", I have noticed that again fifteen minute increments keep cropping up.  Fifteen minutes to apply for a job online, fifteen minutes to water a section of the yard.  Fifteen minutes to aimlessly flip through a magazine. Fifteen minutes to watch a half-hour sitcom on the dvr. 

(Or to go really deep: 15 minutes to race the car one pass, from the staging lanes to packing the chutes on the return road) 

They say if you're an addict or going through a particular period of time to focus not on the whole day or the whole task but to break it down into smaller increments.  I guess I've found that to be true in my life.  But then, I'm one of those weird folks that find patterns in every thing. Fifteen minutes at at a time.


No comments: