20 May 2019

I'd Like to Say This is Unusual

I was making dinner tonight and like most  every nights, I wasn't fully focused on what I was doing.

Two things:
This is the night I have the shiny new phone.
and
This was a fairly straight-forward, easy meal: baked chicken breast with vegs and rice. So it wasn't complicated, at all, even by my low standards.

I will admit to running a little late because: shiny new phone.  But I had a handle on it, no lives at risk.

Table is set-ish, I'm cleaning dishes as I go.  I took the baking dish out of the oven  and set it on a hot pad. (yes, I know all those cooking words) Then I went to attend to something else at the sink.

A few minutes later, it was time to dish up everything so I returned to the stove with a spoon in hand.

Something caught my eye.  What's that strange flickering?

I had accidentally put another hot pad next to...okay, ON...a hot burner and it was happily flaming away.

"Oh." I say.
"Hey now."
"This is not good."

All I hear is my name from behind me in a patient "What have you done, now?" tone from Kevin.

"Nothing.  It's all good.  Nothing to see here." as I put out the flames under the running faucet.

Again, pained patience, yet to his credit not panicked at all; which tells you a LOT about my cooking experiences.  "You got it?"

"Yep. It's not dinner until something is on fire."

Sure I lit something on fire while making dinner. But it wasn't THE dinner.

So I win.

3 comments:

Swistle said...

I love this exchange

Ernie said...

Hilarious! I once tried to make dinner while a kid showed me homework. The paper caught on fire from tbe burner. Oops. So much for multi tasking!

Surely said...

Ernie,
I probably totally would have done that as a parent. Lol.

I used to have instructions for take & bake pizza on the refrigerator that Kevin had written on the bottom "And do not go start laundry" :)