20 August 2020

In My Bubble

 One of my friends on the social media is a progressive liberal and I watch their posts with interest.  They help me to determine when to be worried about something, when there's something to actually be done, and when something is simply hyperbole.

They are taking the pandemic/quarantine issue really seriously and I've used them for guidance when making decisions.  Wearing masks before it was mandated, self quarantining if they do go on an adventure, etc.  Something they said gave me context with trying to wrap my mind around this situation.

My friend calls this the Germ Bubble.  They allow X amount of people into their germ bubble.  While i would have maybe named it something a little less graphic, I like it.  In my brain it's a visual representation of my interactions.  Kind of like a Venn Diagram, but not.

I see Kevin, his parents, my bff, and only go to the grocery or hardware store.  Oh, and the coffee stand, because: essential.  So, let's say I see On the Regular: four people. If we mix in my workplace: Add two. At the Max: I see ten people if we estimate store interactions.  

Of course, we've gone to the burger place where everything is outdoors.  We've gone to the park.  To me those don't necessarily count as interactions because outside, masked up when appropriate, and social distancing.  It's been WEEKS since I've hugged Nephew and Sweet Baby so that was just a one-off situation.  

So: ten people.  Max.  On average.  (math is hard so feel free to correct my estimations. Seriously)

We have made an effort to keep my bubble small.  Kevin, because he goes to work, has a remarkably larger bubble.  However, his work is predominately outside and working independently.  While he interacts with more people, it's not like he snuggles them.  And like the statement during the AIDS crisis, this rings true: their exposure is your exposure.

We still have not gone into a restaurant.  We've gone twice to one that has outside seating in the marina and to the drive-in.  But I am not comfortable going INTO one yet.  I never would have thought I'd become that cautious but here we are.

It's been almost six months of this.  It feels normal to me now.  It feels odd/scary to me when I see others not quarantining/social distancing.  Or, let me clarify: not doing it as much as I would.  Although there are a few who are apparently pretending that this is all done now.  Which brings me to the family.

Kevin's parents have decided that they can't "live in fear" anymore and want to venture out to the store, etc. (like this hadn't already happened, I suspect)   Kevin was incredibly blunt and told them that if they do, they know the consequence. And that the consequence is if they do get it, they are dying alone in the hospital.  DUDE.  

AND STILL they want to go out.  Sheesh.  Yet, I haven't seen them go anywhere so I wonder if it's ask for forgiveness versus permission.  Or they changed their minds after all.  Who knows.

In my family, the cousins had a campout and invited us.  Sigh.  I guess it was outside so that's good.  But still.  This would be allowing a significant amount of people into the bubble, albeit while being outside

One of the niece's birthdays was this weekend and of course the family wanted to gather.  I was again put into a position of boundaries and decisions with my family.  I'm so frustrated with that whole situation.  It's a group of people who should absolutely KNOW BETTER.  

"Luckily" we had a contractor coming to inspect our house/gutters and he was only available that day.  Also, we're trying to paint the house exterior before the weather changes and/or we lose interest.  We weren't able to go, but it just kicked the whole conversation down the road temporarily.

Anyway, my point being is the visual of a germ bubble helps me keep perspective, yet increases the risk of making me a germaphobe.  Also, that it's easy to lapse into judgement while watching how others are handling this very odd situation.  Finally, that it is really making me look at personal interactions and their worth to me.

Work of course, is a non-starter.  I have little choice there and am incredibly lucky. Kevin is a constant but upon reflection, I've seen his habits change as well.  Seeing my BFF is a compromise but the toll on the mental health aspect is worth the risk.  (and their germ bubble is small) I don't really miss restaurants or shopping.  

Which leaves my family. This pandemic has given me a reason to distance myself and overall I think that's a good thing.  Perhaps when this is all over, my distance will be the normal and not unusual.  

And when this is done, we can change the bubble's name from Germ to something else.  If it wasn't the End Times, I would have a clever alternative but my brain is full.  Open to suggestions!


3 comments:

angela said...

I saw a graphic recently titled "What you Say vs. What I Hear: COVID19 Edition" that included this:

What you say: "I don't live in fear."

What I hear: "I'm willing to endanger the people around me to prove how brave I am."

Sigh. Stay safe, love your writing!

Gigi said...

My vote is for just Bubble. Or, for those that need a precise title, Personal Space Bubble. Or even, Get The Hell Away From Me Bubble.

Yes, I admit - I knew I didn't want to be around most people "before" - but now I am full on "I don't want to be around any people ever."

I try SO hard not to judge others but when my co-worker texts me that they aren't on lockdown because she would "go insane." And that they are going out and about like there isn't a pandemic - I feel judgey.

Anonymous said...

We're "fighting" this in my family too. My parents are sorta careful, but not really. It's super hard to ask your dad to wear a mask in your house so I don't want him here really. My sister is in a medical profession so you would THINK she gets this, but she doesn't, she still thinks that Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to be normal. There was a family celebration that we just didn't go to - too many people that we don't see and some from OUT OF STATE. Sigh....