06 August 2020

Music to Paint By

The shop is finally completed.  What we tentatively had figured for a weekend project turned into a four weekend project.  To be fair, we did so much more than we planned, we both have alphabet brains to contend with, and we didn't work all.the.weekends.

That's not the point though.  The point is that Kevin has SiriusXM in his shop.  The channel we agreed on was Classic Rewind.  Our music tastes are different and usually it's not a problem but: four weekends. Music is like the One Thing that our age difference shows. (seven years between us, he's older)

So if you're not familiar with Classic Rewind: it's classic rock from the late 70's-80's, maybe early 90's.  A good portion of the music is basically my life soundtrack.

We used to play the What Band is This? game but again: age difference.  Also, Kevin predominately listens to Country so my breadth of knowledge is slightly more.  He can beat me in Country and some classic rock and I can beat him in all the other music.

Then we stumbled into another game.  I think I started it, I'm not sure now.  

38 Special was playing.  I don't listen to them anymore but they used to be one of my favorites.  I mentioned to Kevin that Satan had ruined this band for me forever.   Kevin's answer was REO Speedwagon. His former wife killed them for him.

Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac) played and Kevin told me about when they moved across state when he was fourteen and how it reminds him how sad he was at the time.  My answer was Patience (GNR) I can't listen to that song unless I'm in a really good place.

Greatest overall Rock band?  AC/DC for Kevin.  I am on the fence.  I mean, overall means you like most of their songs.  The Cars, U2, Def Leppard.  I can't choose.

U2 Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For has to be turned up to eleven.  It's the law.  For Kevin, it's Bad Company Rock and Roll Fantasy.

Kevin doesn't get Bruce Springsteen. I don't get Eric Clapton.  Neither of us are Led Zeppelin fans.  We disagree on the Rolling Stones and The Who.

Free Falling was playing in the car as I left Satan at the old apartment.  Take It On the Run was the song for Kevin's break-up.

Go For A Soda always makes Kevin laugh, it reminds him of his best friend in the whole world.
You Give Love a Bad Name reminds me of my former sister-in-law in a happy way.  

Wait, it's kind of a good story: We had left brunch after Sunday Church and I was driving.  We were the two Outliers in the family because the IDGAF was strong in us.  Sadly, it was a very traditional and strict family. (another story for another day)

I had a little truck with a loud system. It was summer and Bon Jovi was playing.  The song started and she turned it up to the heavens (pun intended) and sang, performed, air-banded to the entire song.  At the end, she turned it down, sighed, and announced "That was better than an orgasm." 

So, you see, the time spent listening to all that music was a bonding experience, a tour through the past, and a test of musical knowledge. 

1 comment:

Swistle said...

Favorite part: "We were the two Outliers in the family because the IDGAF was strong in us."

Also excuse me but nothing called Classic Rewind can include ANYTHING from the '90s, and I am trying to be flexible about anything from the '80s.