28 December 2020

Blissed in the Quiet

 *Stretch*Yawn*  Oh hey, hi, hello.

It's the week between holidays and I'm on Winter Break.  Winter break that feels particularly ridiculous when I work from home.  But now that I've made it through the holiday and am in that lull before the New Year, I am leaning into it.

I slept in this morning, like, really slept in.  I showered and cut my hair then made my way to the couch.  This has been my view for a few hours now:

I'm in my favorite tshirt and shorts because it's 75 degrees in here, by design.  I know, shush. I'm cozy. I'm fasting a bit today because OMG so much food over the past five days.  #Ihatebananas #stillcoffeethough    I'm reading the book my BFF K gave me for my birthday.  I'm ENTRANCED already with it. The puppy is alternating between laying on me, the people bed, and in front of the fire.  

This is the view out of the window right now.  It's chilly and beautiful outside.  The heron just left the creek, flew across the property and obscured the light for a moment.  The salmon have finished spawning so the creek is quiet again.  It was busy with splashes and movement; with the audience of hawks and eagles.  The beaver dams finally washed away so we have tiny rapids again.


The house is mostly defrocked but the tree remains.  It's going to stay until after the New Year with a tentative plan of taking it down on Inauguration Day.  I'm adding a day to it every time Kevin asks when it's getting put away. It may be February.

As a result of the defrocking, it looks like Christmas threw up all over my office.  However, because winter break: I am not worried about cleaning it. It, too, may wait until Inauguration Day.  

I've switched Alexa back to country music after a month of Christmas music.  As Swistle mentioned, it's kind of sad.  But the slow, quiet return to normalcy feels better.  Also, it feels like the television has been on 24/7 and even though the dvr is nearly full with Doctor Who episodes, it will remain off for now.  

No chores have been completed today. Super uncharacteristically and much to Lucy's delight: I have not made the bed yet.  The laundry has been restarted; only because the A.D.D. forgot that it started it at 11:00 last night.   Rosie made a few passes vacuuming around the house at 5:30 this morning but even she gave up and went back to bed.

There's a to-do list on the counter that I've added to but subtracted nothing.  I have the requisite Christmas returns, a trip to buy a calendar and next years Christmas cards, and some regular errands.  They're all going to wait until tomorrow. Or the next day.  We'll see.

I'm getting used to using my reading glasses and realized an important benefit today: the rest of the world around me literally and actually blurs while I'm wearing them; taming the A.D.D. a bit.  I may have accidentally discovered another tool for focusing.  Now if I could just wear them everywhere with the same effect.

I need the sensory deprivation tank that this house is today.  

So, there's the update from the coziness that is my little house in the woods. I hope that whatever you find cozy and comforting has found you this week as well.

1 comment:

angela said...

Wait, a puppy? Congratulations! What does Lucy think? Will you post a picture?