02 January 2023

What the Defrock

 It's January first as I write this.  I woke up well-rested and in a good mood. The alphabet brain seems to have settled down a bit so these are all good things.

Unusually, I defrocked the house the two days following Christmas.  Most years I keep out everything until the New Year then slowly put everything right.  This year though, it all came down quickly.  To be honest, it started Christmas night as Kevin slept.  (just in the kitchen though) 

I think it was this time last year that I was laying on the floor in the midst of Santa's workshop chaos around me.  I did not make that mistake this year.  I started room-by-room, brought it all back to the office - in case the alphabet brain kicked in and I had to leave it unfinished- then methodically boxed everything up and put it away.  

It took capital H-hours to complete but I went from three and a half large totes to only two large totes and one medium box that if I wanted to, could totally repack into the two totes. But I can't want to.  Next year.

But, traditionally, I thought this would be a good time to also organize Monica's Closet.  So there was an hour gone that I hadn't planned.  But I'm culling so much stuff and each time it gets less and less crammed in there.  Nap Closet someday!  It is a very real goal for me now.  I should call it a Hidden Library, that sound less crazy.

At that time, I left the tree because I was still enjoying it.  Then I woke up Friday morning and was all Whelp, it's been fun but You Gotta Go.  I really really love my tree and if it weren't for Kevin and my OCD, I would be one of those people who leave it up.  It was time though.  

The giant coffee table has been in my office because the tree took it's place.  So it wasn't just taking down the tree, it was moving furniture.  Did I wait for Kevin?  No.  Did our UPS friend show up just one minute after I finished?  Yes.  

Anyhoo...house is back to normal, everything is put away, Monica's Closet is reorganized for the eleventieth time.  My office is more clean than it was prior to Thanksgiving.  So, what's next you ask.

Why, curtains, of course. I can't believe you didn't guess.

I had curtains for the living room on my wish list.  As I explained to B.F.F. K. I didn't think Kevin would go for them.  So I was very surprised when he did.  And whew, they are BRIGHT.  I mean, they were obviously colorful in the photo but they are BRIGHT.

Kevin just kept asking "Are you SURE?"  about the curtains. They are replacing heavy satin forest green curtains that have been in the house since we moved into it in 2005.  It was time.  

There was one tiny glitch though.  You see this house came with valances. But not the ones on a rods.  They are fabric covered wood that are screwed into the wall and two types of fabric because fancy.  The colors are earth toned and muted so it's not like they're out of date. But they don't match the new curtains.

The green watercolor piece is sorta separate
from the tan/cream color.
Awful photo but you get the idea

My first attempt was to just fold up the green part
and see if it would lay flatly against the board.
Nope.  

Second attempt was to buy a window scarf to cover the above and that was also a nope. It looked exactly like what I was trying to do: cover up an issue.

Enters Kevin.  I explained the issue and he said "Well, let's just take the whole thing down."  I went into a flop sweat because that means cleaning, texturing, and painting the space where the valance board used to was.  I considered it  (because he's home for the holidays right now and at my disposal) but decided that it was just TOO MUCH.

Instead he took a razor knife and cut off the all the green, causing me much anxiety.  This was permanent and I wasn't ready for that change.  But here we are.  Let me take a moment to state what a patient guy he is with these projects. Sure, there's heavy sighing but he supports these "crazy" ideas.

To my relief, it looks nice. It both brighten and lightened the room and to my relief, the room doesn't shout "HEY, LOOK! NEW CURTAINS!" when you walk into it.

(I'm trying to add a video, let's see how that goes)

I don't know that this is the permanent fix. I will still mull taking down the original valances because I do believe it will look better.  That will be eventually though.  It's a big job.  Oh, wait, I didn't mention: this was done on three windows.  Not just the one in the living area.

Now though, because it's always something: it looks like I need to paint. Yes, again. Still.  Whatever. 

Back when I painted the living room, I debated about continuing the color to the walls by the dining table and stove.  It's a big job though so I didn't.  Now it looks unfinished. Sigh. Kevin thinks I'm crazy, rightfully so.  Maybe once he goes back to work, I will paint the one small wall.

Because I can't do the end wall yet.  There was water damage from the roof and one of his guys is coming to fix it...for three months now.  I told Kevin that I would just paint while everything was torn apart and they were here to help.  He said he would ask and I'm taking that as a yes.

So...sigh...I haven't done a What Did Surely Take Apart Now post for quite a while.  Right now the answer is: Everything.  

1 comment:

Gigi said...

I like the curtains. Regarding the valance...what if you picked a color from the curtains, bought fabric and re-covered them?