05 February 2007

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

This is my new favorite show. I have a lot of favorite shows, wildly varied but this is my new favorite. It's smart, it's funny, it doesn't pander. And, of course, it's flagging in the ratings. I have a theory why, of course I do. Have you met me?

It's been an underlying storyline in Studio 60 so perhaps it's where I've formulated this theory. Nevertheless. Reality television has spoiled us. This is a witty, clever show that one needs to actually watch. I think that people don't have, or don't want to have, time for shows that make you think or challenge.(with the exception of the beloved LOST, which is back on Wednesday. Yahoo!) I think, much like our cuisine, we've become fast-food television watchers. We want only what we can watch while we eat dinner, surf the internet and fold laundry.

Anyway, it has some fabulous actors, smart writing, and it's set in a Saturday Night Live-ish Studio. What more can you ask for? I would say, although critics mostly disagree, their sketches are better than the current SNL.
(Dateline: To Catch A Predator - Santa Edition. Nicholas Cage as a Marriage Counselor to mention my two favorites) It's an inside view of how television is put together, which in a media obsessed culture, I would think people would find interesting.

AND, in my humble opinion, it's so much BETTER than 30-Rock, which is just STUPID and I'm distressingly disappointed in Tina Fey. She so chose the wrong show. She's smarter than 30-Rock.

So, set your TIVO's, your DVR's or VCR's or just WATCH it. I promise, you won't be disapponted. 10:00 p.m. NBC. Go now, set your machines to record. I'll wait...

No comments: