08 February 2007

Potty Mouth

I haven't worked with children in nearly a year. I KNOW! I have been gainfully unemployed for nearly a YEAR. Go me! Watch me go absolutely no where!

Meanwhile…

Having worked with children for about 14 years, I still have a child's vocabulary though. I don't think it is something I can control. It is kind of like having an accent. You can be aware of it, but not necessarily have control over it.

What made me think of this today is when I was talking to the Barista…I'm from Washington State, we ALL have baristas…and I called her "Sweetie". Inappropriate, perhaps but it's a habit.

When you are around little ones, their names morph into other things. They rhyme, (Bode-Ode-Odie-Oh) they get re-emphasized (EES-Ah-BELLA), they get exaggerated (ZAAAAACCCCKKKYYYY!). Or they get completely forgotten…"Hey Jacob, Jonathon, Jeremy, Justin…YOU!"

When I really noticed this is when I referred to the Mad Genius as Honey in public. I didn't even realize that I did it until he walked over and said, "Hey, I know! Let's not call me Honey while yelling across the store, kay?" Which, of course, made me laugh and now it's "Honey, Baby, Sweetie." Yes, I am evil.

During the Mad Genius's Christmas party, he left for a moment during the gift exchange game. Of course, it became his turn. When his friend asked where he was, I replied "He went downstairs to go potty." I didn't think anything of it until she said "Wait, did you just say he went potty?" *groan*

Another example is I will sometimes slip and say "Dark time" instead of night or when the Mad Genius was going to Vegas Baby, we jokingly counted "How many sleeps" until he left.

I have always considered getting a tattoo but could never decide what I would get. I think I should just get printed somewhere on my body "I used to work with children." Maybe on my hand, I could just hold it up when I say something stupid. (Like Jesse James, he has "Pay Up Sucka" on his palm. I love that.)

Anyone who is a parent that is reading this is probably nodding in agreement. I just want to say, "You're not alone."

No comments: