06 July 2008

Waking Up the House

Every morning I go about "waking up the house". A gentle task that I do mostly without thinking.

This ritual entails opening curtains or blinds, turning on lights, opening doors if the weather cooperates, turning on music or television. Straightening up anything left over from the evening or in the wake of the MG. Making the bed, straightening clothes and towels. I seem to treat this house as I would a human: wake up, put on your clothes, brush your teeth, get ready for the day.

It's a ritual that happens every morning; it's soothing really. It's a transition from foggy sleep to being awake and preparing for the upcoming day. In my most disordered mind, I manage to keep a fairly orderly house. (this made possible only because we weren't blessed with kids, mind you)

And I feel it if it doesn't happen. If I oversleep and can't do one or any of the steps, it feels like I'm wearing my shoes on the wrong feet.

Of course, it happens similarly in the night time, not quite in reverse: close the blind so the dog doesn't bark, set the wash going, put my books away. Again, it's a human theme for our house: put away your toys, put on your pjs, and go to sleep. I can't settle in if I forget or skip something. (Yes, very OCD: I've been known to get up to switch or fold laundry just so I can sleep)

It's a ritual that I think most wives or partners conduct in some form or another. One more example of human nature that connects us all.

No comments: